The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sweetandsalt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 03:31 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Airflo super-dri River & Stream first impressions

A few days ago one of my local shop owners got a demo 5wt. Airflo super-dri River & Stream line (called Lake pro in the UK) he invited me to come down and try it on one of my 5 weights. I laced it up on my 9' 5 weight sage vxp, and took it down to a local stream. The line is a beautiful airflo pale mint green, with a hot orange "handling section".

Clearly there is a lot of marketing hype in the fishing industry, it has become a problem that many anglers are being frustrated by. Is the super-dri a product of marketing gimics and BS? Welp, my experience says, hell no.

This line made my vxp feel like a very different rod compared to its current GPX matching. If any of you fish spey rods and have casted the airflo scandi compact shooting head, then you already have an idea of how this river & stream line casts and feels. It has a 19ft front taper, and about a 16ft belly so it isnt quite a triangle taper, but has the pros that the triangle taper provides, such as amazing presentation both far and close.

The line loaded the vxp so well I couldnt believe it, its a heavy line given that the head is 40+ long. Overlining certainly not neccessary. The line picked up extremely well off the water as stated in the advertisements, it seems to have less adhesion to the water surface. The "silent" textured surface allowed me to shoot line considerably farther. The long front taper provided exceptional up close presentation. All in all it simply felt better to cast with, than any other line I have ever casted or fished, by a long shot.

If you were to ask me does this line live up to all the super-dri hype? my answer would be absolutely yes. So I went ahead and had him order me one that day, it was that much of a gamechanger for me.

Last edited by thenewlushlife; 10-03-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:38 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Airflo super-dri River & Stream first impressions

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is a variation on the above theme that intrigues me:
Click the image to open in full size.

The "ridges" on these non-stretch lines run longitudinally so they reduce surface contact but quietly.
thenewlushlife likes this.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:51 PM

royalcoach is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Airflo super-dri River & Stream first impressions

They both look like they would be great for short and long casts.

Wish I could find a shop and try all of the new Super Dry lines.