Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By thenewlushlife
  • 1 Post By thenewlushlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 12:21 AM

steez is on a distinguished road
Default Versi and polyleaders

So this year I decided that I'm going to use interchangeable leaders for a sink tip rather than carry extra spools for Steelheading. Has anyone done this yet, and how has it worked! I would like to get a couple different ones with different sink rates in case I would like to swing some flies or what if I used these instead of split shots? I'm curious

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2013, 01:53 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Versi and polyleaders

My first question to you would be are you using a single hander or double handed rod? I use different polys and sink tip when steelheading. However, winter steelhead feed along the bottom, in a fast current even the fastest sink rate poly won't get you to the bottom, best to use type 3, 6, 8 or even going up to t-8 or t-11 material, however these high density tungsten sink tips can be hard to handle on a single handed rod, but work amazing on a Spey rod, with skagit head.

If you we're to try polys use an extra fast sink with a rate of about 6.5/sec sink rate. That sounds like a fast sink, but polymer material is light and doesn't cut through the water column efficiently in a fast current like I said before. If you need to dredge with single hand rod might be best to go with split shots.

If your river is shallow I.e. 5ft or less deep and the current is under say 1000 or 800 Cfs than the poly leaders may do the trick.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:00 AM

Thanks for the input!

I will be using a single handed rod first if all and the poly leaders will be mostly used for getting a streamer down if I am in the mood.

Secondly, I'm fishing a smaller Great Lakes tributary and it's CFS is usually around 500.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:23 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

I see that sounds good to me. A fast sinking poly should work just fine along with a conehead streamer. give it a shot and let us know how it goes. I fish great lakes tribs myself, one piece of advice, the steelhead typically dont start running in these systems until november so if you go out now looking for steel they may not be there.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:04 PM

I have fished the Great Lakes tribs for the past five years for steelies and it's good to know people on here do too!

Oh, and they are in there going out tomorrow morning, I'll give you guys an update.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:37 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by steez View Post
So this year I decided that I'm going to use interchangeable leaders for a sink tip rather than carry extra spools for Steelheading. Has anyone done this yet, and how has it worked! I would like to get a couple different ones with different sink rates in case I would like to swing some flies or what if I used these instead of split shots? I'm curious

Thanks!
I have a similar question, but for trout fishing. I've never used a poly or versi-leader, or even a sinking line. Adding a sinking leader to an existing floating line sounds like a good way to help get streamers down. I am using a single handed rod, currently a 5wt. There may be a heavier single handed rod in my future though.

My goal would be to get a weighted streamer down to a depth of 8-10 feet in tail water just below a dam. Flow rates can be from a low of 150 cfm to a high of 450. Flow rates do get higher, but are not really wadeable or even fishable at these higher levels.

Can anyone offer a more newbie description of the pros and cons for poly vs. a versi-leader? Also, does a poly leader really offer that much over a fluorocarbon leader in terms of getting your fly down deep?

--Irish Blessing

Last edited by ts47; 11-28-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
I have a similar question, but for trout fishing. I've never used a poly or versi-leader, or even a sinking line. Adding a sinking leader to an existing floating line sounds like a good way to help get streamers down. I am using a single handed rod, currently a 5wt. There may be a heavier single handed rod in my future though.

My goal would be to get a weighted streamer down to a depth of 8-10 feet in tail water just below a dam. Flow rates can be from a low of 150 cfm to a high of 450. Flow rates do get higher, but are not really wadeable or even fishable at these higher levels.

Can anyone offer a more newbie description of the pros and cons for poly vs. a versi-leader? Also, does a poly leader really offer that much over a fluorocarbon leader in terms of getting your fly down deep?
Poly and versi leaders are the same thing. Versi leader is a term developed by rio products, same thing as a poly my friend. Yes, a poly is coated in a dense material designed for sinking, and they come in different sink rates. Intermediate 1.5 inch per second sink. Fast sink 4.1 in. Per second sink. And super fast sink 6.5 in. Per second sink. A regular tapered leader sinks less than 1 in. Per second, so adding a poly will certainly get you down faster than your reg leader, light years faster. However, as opposed to a leader, a poly will transfer energy into itself from the fly line b/c the material is thick and similar to that of a fly line, if you don't add a few feet of Tippett to the end of the poly your line will "kick" during the casting stroke.. Good luck
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:16 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewlushlife View Post
Poly and versi leaders are the same thing. Versi leader is a term developed by rio products, same thing as a poly my friend. Yes, a poly is coated in a dense material designed for sinking, and they come in different sink rates. Intermediate 1.5 inch per second sink. Fast sink 4.1 in. Per second sink. And super fast sink 6.5 in. Per second sink. A regular tapered leader sinks less than 1 in. Per second, so adding a poly will certainly get you down faster than your reg leader, light years faster. However, as opposed to a leader, a poly will transfer energy into itself from the fly line b/c the material is thick and similar to that of a fly line, if you don't add a few feet of Tippett to the end of the poly your line will "kick" during the casting stroke.. Good luck
Thanks for answering my question. It was helpful!

Todd

--Irish Blessing