The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 07:42 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Line for Winston Tom Morgan Favorite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wichaka View Post
When Winston had their forum going, they had some info. on TMF's;

Blanks made by Fisher were made up to serial # 11,959

Loomis up to # 43,499 and then in house after that using the WT blank.
Very good information!
Old 10-11-2013, 11:16 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Did the Winston Forum happen to correlate in dates when the suppliers of their blanks changed? Loomis had made private label, built to spec product for LL Bean at one point too and they were very good rods (1990's). I still think a subtle front taper WF, not DT, line with a long rear taper would be better for this delicate TMF. It would facilitate its in close capabilities same as a DT but would not overload it at more medium distances where the #3.5 concept comes in.

Burk nailed it; if Winston would stick to sweet 8' and 8 1/2' WT's they would not get the depth of criticism they get from us technical types. Also they have to quit putting single coat globs of finish overlapping onto the blank on their thread wraps and go back to the old, careful, multi-coat technique. Can I mention they could spend some money and hire a great rod designer what with both Morgan and Bracket gone...
Old 10-11-2013, 02:58 PM

mtbusman has a spectacular aura aboutmtbusman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
The only Cortland line I've used is the peach colored stuff, not sure which model...and that's been awhile ago. I will try to find some...care to point me in a good direction to find a spool?
You can still get it, I think . . . if what they are selling today as the 444 Classic is the same line. Here is a link for it from Cabelas: Cortland 444 Classic Fly Line : Cabela's

I'm not recommending you buy it from Cabelas or any other particular retailer, but I skimmed through the customer reviews -- one reviewer claims that this line is a continuation of the classic Cortland peach colored lines. And, you can get it in double taper. Several reviewers were using this line with their cane rods, which is also a good sign. One another website, I read similar reviews. Just google it and you'll get a long list of online retailers who carry it. Who knows, your local fly shop might even be getting some of these lines back in stock. (I believe in buying local when I can.)

All this said . . . there are some other great lines out there you can get in a DT that will cast well with this rod. Just try to stay with a double taper and look for a line designed for delicate presentations. Personally, I have an older SA Trout Stalker (before they went textured with the line) in a DT4F that casts great with my Winston IM6 nine foot four weight. But if you want to go "old school" the Cortland Classic 444 would be a line to try.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:21 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
The only Cortland line I've used is the peach colored stuff, not sure which model...and that's been awhile ago. I will try to find some...care to point me in a good direction to find a spool?
I don't know the NW at all. I'd email Cortland if your want to buy local.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:08 PM

labtrout will become famous soon enoughlabtrout will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Did the Winston Forum happen to correlate in dates when the suppliers of their blanks changed?
Quote:
Did Loomis ever make anything as slow as IM6?
Fisher was the only one I've heard made blanks other than Winston. At least when it came to production rods.
I have two IM6 Winston rods -an 8'6" 5-weight and 7'6" 4-weight, both in three-piece - and was informed by Winston that the blanks were made by Loomis. I bought the first in 1993 and the second in 1994. The serial numbers are in the 38,XXX to 42,XXX range, respectively.

Generally, rods that were made of "original graphite", from the 1980s to about 1991, were made by Fisher. Those marked "IM6", from 1987 to about 1994, were made by Loomis. Winston started rolling their own blanks in 1994, beginning with serial #43,500 and higher. At first they were still designated as IM6, then later changed to WT in the early 2000s. Exceptions might occur if you custom-ordered a rod and they had an older blank hanging around. For example, I custom-ordered my first Winston, an 8-foot 5-weight made of original graphite, in 1992, and it had serial number 21,XXX. From my old Winston catalogs, you can see that customers could choose between IM6 (Loomis blank) or original graphite (Fisher blank) during the years 1987-1992.

Hope that helps. I also was a regular participant on the old Winston Forum, a great resource for green-stick users.

By the way, I prefer Triangle Taper lines on my IM6 Winstons and i think you would be happy with a TT4 on your TMF.
imxer likes this.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:52 PM

mtbusman has a spectacular aura aboutmtbusman has a spectacular aura about

Hmm. My 9' 4 wt IM6 has a serial number in the 37,XXX range. I ordered it from Winston in Oct 1995. Mine has an uplocking reel seat without a hidden hood. When Winston first offered an uplocking seat, that's how they were made.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:14 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Coincidentally, Loomis IMX rods of the 80's also featured up-locking seats with the upper, machined hood exposed rather than recessed under the cork, which thy began doing with GLX. As I have said, I knew Gary Loomis did custom to spec private labeling for some other companies but until now, was un-aware Winston was one of them. In his day, no one built a better blank. There are a few in this forum who treasure their IMX's above all other rods, especially the 9'/#4, 5 & 6 which are understatedly handsome as well.
imxer likes this.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:58 AM

labtrout will become famous soon enoughlabtrout will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hmm. My 9' 4 wt IM6 has a serial number in the 37,XXX range. I ordered it from Winston in Oct 1995. Mine has an uplocking reel seat without a hidden hood. When Winston first offered an uplocking seat, that's how they were made.
Interesting. Both of mine are downlockers with maple spacers. Perhaps yours was made up custom with a blank rolled earlier. But, from what I was told by Winston, yours is likely a Loomis blank.

At one point -- around 1998, I think -- I purchased a 9' 6-weight LT three-piece rod which also was an uplocker with exposed hood. I replaced it with a BIIX 6-weight when that line was introduced in 2004. I still fish the BIIX regularly, but wish I had kept the LT, which was fairly short-lived in a three-piece.

Last edited by labtrout; 10-28-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:51 AM

spike2 is on a distinguished road

I liked the TT 4wt on mine
Dave
Old 10-31-2013, 02:29 AM

wichaka is on a distinguished road

Am not familiar with TT line...is that WF, DT, or?