The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 03:52 AM

wichaka is on a distinguished road
Default Line for Winston Tom Morgan Favorite

I was recently able to obtain an older IM6 TMF, based on a Loomis blank.

I haven't got it on the water yet, but have been out on the yard casting away with it. I really like the feel of it, even when compared to my Scoot G.

Anyway, loaded it up with RIO Trout LT WF4F line, and it loaded and cast great. Then tried the same make and style of line, but in WF3F. This proved too light, as it was hard to load the rod and really get any feel out of it.

I must say that at times the 4wt line seemed a bit much.

Now to the question...Morgan has said that the rod is more like a 3 1/2 weight...so has anyone tried a 3+ wt line on a TMF?

Am thinking about the SA GPX line, which is a 1/2 weight heavier, which would put the line right at what Morgan is saying the rod is.

Thoughts?
Old 10-10-2013, 04:11 AM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Line for Winston Tom Morgan Favorite

I use either a Rio Selective Trout II DT4F or Wulff Triangle Taper 4 on my TMF. The topic was much-discussed on the now defunct Winston forum. The consensus was that a DT4 was the right line for that rod but of course, YMMV. That's a great rod, have fun with it!
Old 10-10-2013, 04:13 AM

I was over on the Winston forum awhile back. I could see the discussions, but couldn't post.

I just checked, and can't access nothing now. Wish they would have left up the forum, would have been a great resource to look thru.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:37 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I know that the early generation Winston graphite blanks were built to Morgan/Bracket specifications by J.Kennedy Fisher. I was not aware that Gary Loomis was a supplier to them as well. Can anyone elaborate on this please?

Also the various generation 8'/#4 TMF's will no doubt vary as to the optimal line match-up. A bit of mix and match may be called for here. There may be someone at Winston that can advise and recommend. I am inclined to speculate that SA's delicate front tapered Textured TroutStalker might be just right.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:24 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I know I'm the Cortland rep, but I have more than a few Winston Pro's including Mark Hendricks (head guide at Gates) who run Cortland Platinum on that rod and love it. I like it on mine, it's a shorter head than Trout Boss, but the Dyna Tip still lays down nice. The TMF is a great Sulpher rod up here, but the 8 1/2-5 WT is the Staff of Moses on the Holy Water (Ausable).
Old 10-10-2013, 08:01 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Did Loomis ever make anything as slow as IM6?
Fisher was the only one I've heard made blanks other than Winston. At least when it came to production rods.
Joni has a JWF (same blank) and SS is her choice. Tried Rio LT and Gold and they were ok.
Where did you get your information from about Morgan saying it's a 3 1/2 wt.?
I would try the Common Cents System and then see if you need a 3 1/2 or 4 wt. line.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:11 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Mojo,

I've seen it described as a 3 1/2 wt a number of times on the Winston forum (always attributed to Tom Morgan himself). Here was a recent interview with him in which he alludes to it as well.

Eric

Untitled
Old 10-10-2013, 09:23 PM

When Winston had their forum going, they had some info. on TMF's;

Blanks made by Fisher were made up to serial # 11,959

Loomis up to # 43,499 and then in house after that using the WT blank.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:37 PM

mtbusman has a spectacular aura aboutmtbusman has a spectacular aura about

I remember some of the discussion about this on the winston forum. The idea that the rod is like a 3.5 weight is because it was designed to fully load at shorter distances. Morgan designed it to be used with a true four weight double taper line. If you want to be a traditionalist about it, you'd get one of those supple Cortland peach colored double taper four weight lines. A true four weight line, maybe a double taper with a delicate tip section, should enable the rod to do what it was designed to do. It was designed for the sweetest, most delicate presentations up close.

Have fun. You've got a classic.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
I know I'm the Cortland rep, but I have more than a few Winston Pro's including Mark Hendricks (head guide at Gates) who run Cortland Platinum on that rod and love it. I like it on mine, it's a shorter head than Trout Boss, but the Dyna Tip still lays down nice. The TMF is a great Sulpher rod up here, but the 8 1/2-5 WT is the Staff of Moses on the Holy Water (Ausable).

The only Cortland line I've used is the peach colored stuff, not sure which model...and that's been awhile ago. I will try to find some...care to point me in a good direction to find a spool?