The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 02:44 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wire Tippet

Definitely a fun time and a great work out.

I'll be throwing a 9' Batson RX8 9wt with a custom cut WF10S3 Airflo sniper 40+ sink line. I've tried various floating 9wt lines on it and they just never really load the rod unless I have 50' of line out. Trying to carry that much line with a 10" hunk of feathers and fur is no fun so the heavier 28' head should be a nice change.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:56 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Peter,

Neither haywire twists nor Albright knots are hard to tie nor all that time consuming. Stainless leader wire even in small quantities of only 42 feet is under $3.00. You could also pre-rig them on your big flies, and change them out with small connectors - even tiny snap swivels - considering the size flies you will be throwing.

The Albright is a knot everyone should know, and it is both simple to remember and easy to tie properly.

The hardest part about the haywire twist is learning the knack of snapping off the wire with your fingers and not using wire cutters.

Wire cutters can be used, but will leave a sticker that will catch the material inside your shirt pocket material or prick your finger if you are not careful when grabbing it.

I tried that coated stuff once years ago and found it way too visable with very large knots compared to leader wire. I've never seen anyone use it in the salt.

Just a thought for consideration.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:52 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

After reading through this thread, I'm secretly wondering if wire tippets are even necessary.

Before I took up flyfishing, I spent the majority of my childhood walleye/pike fishing with my father. Back in the day we used to use mono line, and metal leaders.

I remember when fireline first came out. I actually used to love that stuff. At first I was still using the metal leaders, but one day I just stopped using them.

The last few Canada trips with my father, I left the leaders behind, and still landed the large majority of my pike. This stuff almost never failed me, One thing I did consistently was tie a knot after every pike.

I'm now just wondering aloud, how well a 2 foot 60-80 pound braid would hold up to a wire leader on a fly? As I was having great success on just 12-14 pound crystal.

Who knows, with the larger flies such as whats being talked about, maybe the stiffer leader will also provide a benefit in the transfer?