The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 05:47 PM

peter hanman will become famous soon enoughpeter hanman will become famous soon enough
Default Wire Tippet

hey everyone!

I go fishing for pike every year during the summer months and I learned last year that it can be expensive as far as leaders are concerned. I bought a pack of 3 leaders that start on mono and move down to a 30lb braided wire. The wire was relatively easy to tie (it took me a couple of times to get it down) and it worked great against the sharp teeth of the pike, however after changing lures only two or three times I had to switch leaders because I ran out of wire. By the time the trip was over I had used all my leaders and the $18 it cost to get them. So my question is: Are there any spools of wire tippet on the market that are easy to tie? Where can I find them? What are the best knots for tying mono to wire?

Thanks all and tight lines.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Wire Tippet

Hi Peter,

I'm interested in finding a source for this also.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-17-2013, 08:28 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Rio, Cortland, Knot 2 Kinky, Surfstrand, Tyger all have a tieable wire. I generally use a swivel for the mono to wire connection, and then a snap for the wire to fly. This makes it so that you'll hardly ever need to change out the wire connection.

For the wire knots I generally just use a clinch knots. Use whatever you're comfortable with though.
Hardyreels and dar like this.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:57 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I use Cortland "Toothy Critter" and the Figure 8 knot.

Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There's 3 kinds of wire "trace"
Single strand stainless "piano" wire, 7 strand plastic coated, and multi-strand (64?) "knotable"

The single strand stuff kinks easily but is the hardest for toothy fish to bite through. The knots are also the most difficult to "tie" IMO. Usually a Bimini twist/Albright on the tippet side and a haywire twist at the hook.

I most often use the coated 7 strand. Again use an Albright at the tippet (or single turn surgeon's loop) but all you need at the hook is a figure 8. With any wire you'll need to remember to always tighten the knot by pulling the tag end and never the standing line as you'll kink the wire. You can melt the coating at the knot for added insurance

The multi-strand stuff is far more expensive but is easier for many people to use only because you use "normal" knots.
This is the brand that I have, but personally I'm more likely to use the coated wire as I've used it forever and am used to it, plus you can rig up flies in advance.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:18 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
There's 3 kinds of wire "trace"
Single strand stainless "piano" wire, 7 strand plastic coated, and multi-strand (64?) "knotable"

The single strand stuff kinks easily but is the hardest for toothy fish to bite through. The knots are also the most difficult to "tie" IMO. Usually a Bimini twist/Albright on the tippet side and a haywire twist at the hook.

I most often use the coated 7 strand. Again use an Albright at the tippet (or single turn surgeon's loop) but all you need at the hook is a figure 8. With any wire you'll need to remember to always tighten the knot by pulling the tag end and never the standing line as you'll kink the wire. You can melt the coating at the knot for added insurance

The multi-strand stuff is far more expensive but is easier for many people to use only because you use "normal" knots.
This is the brand that I have, but personally I'm more likely to use the coated wire as I've used it forever and am used to it, plus you can rig up flies in advance.

Click the image to open in full size.
Thanks! I have been looking for an alternative to the RIO stuff. I hate paying $6 more for the same thing just because of a name. I just picked up a spool of 26lb 7x7. Hopefully I'll be able to test that on the 26th on some musky teeth
Old 10-18-2013, 09:30 AM

dar is on a distinguished road

I use Tyger wire. You can tie just about any knot you want with this stuff and used it as a replacement on Toothy Critter leaders.

Dave
Old 10-18-2013, 10:47 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
Thanks! I have been looking for an alternative to the RIO stuff. I hate paying $6 more for the same thing just because of a name. I just picked up a spool of 26lb 7x7. Hopefully I'll be able to test that on the 26th on some musky teeth

Where ya fishing on the 26th? That's the weekend of the MFFWC. Any chance that's where you're headed?
Old 10-18-2013, 10:56 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Naaa...Im still practicing in some closer Indiana waters. I've had some good success in the lakes I fish out there and have a few new patterns I want to test out along with a new line I am hoping is the final answer for my musky rod.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:38 PM

Musky fishing anywhere is a good time.

New musky patterns are fun. If Indiana musky are anything like the ones in Wisconsin, chances are you'll get the middle finger no matter what you're using! Part of the fun.

What rod/line combo are you using?