The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 03:20 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused on Leaders & Tippet

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
I'm on the fringe, but I feel that using a tapered leader is not needed and is not nearly as important as leader length and how you cast. .
OMG
A well designed tapered leader (no matter what material it's constructed from) will cause your fly to roll out with a consistent "transfer of power" from the leader's butt to the tippet end.
If you think about it, this is far more important to your cast and fly presentation than any other piece of your equipment. Reel, line, or rod.
People have understood this since the days of horse hair leaders.
oarfish and sweetandsalt like this.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:57 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I am a leader fanatic, it is the part of the outfit that delivers the fly and you can have the best rod, reel and line for your purposes that exists but render it useless with a leader that won't accept transfer of casting energy from your line and therefore will not turn over properly.

There are many effective types of leader designs and it can seem confusing early in your fly fishing experience. Make it simple. As you will tangle up anything you use as you develop a casting stroke, buy knotless, extruded pre tapered leaders. RIO, Orvis, Umpqua, Scientific Anglers and more all market reasonably priced 3 packs with loops on their butt ends that you can loop-to-loop onto your RIO Gold's factory loop. For your trout fishing buy 9' leaders designated as 3X and 3 spools of tippet material in #3, 4 and 5X. Look up on the internet how to tie a blood knot. This is the one knot you need to master early on and you may adapt your 3X leader, by knotting on a 3 to 4' section of tippet, to an appropriate size to accommodate the size fly you may be using. Good luck and catch a big one.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:05 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
OMG
A well designed tapered leader (no matter what material it's constructed from) will cause your fly to roll out with a consistent "transfer of power" from the leader's butt to the tippet end.
If you think about it, this is far more important to your cast and fly presentation than any other piece of your equipment. Reel, line, or rod.
People have understood this since the days of horse hair leaders.
I agree that piece or pieces of leader and tippet are the most important component of yours or mines cast, with millions of options how do we relate this info to new casters? We fish wind and large waves down to small streams and raging rivers and we use a different rig for each, how did we come to this success, it’s trail and error we can only give a starting point to the journey and it still might not be right.

Rick
Old 10-22-2013, 04:20 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
I agree that piece or pieces of leader and tippet are the most important component of yours or mines cast, with millions of options how do we relate this info to new casters? We fish wind and large waves down to small streams and raging rivers and we use a different rig for each, how did we come to this success, it’s trail and error we can only give a starting point to the journey and it still might not be right.

Rick
No, it's actually very simple
sweetandsalt's explanation above is a good start for the original poster in this thread as that's the single best answer to his question about leaders and tippets
Mr. Turbine's method works also but only with a more 'course' style of fishing and I do that too, but I certainly would not recommend that to a serious trout fisherman. You need to use every advantage when casting to trout and that especially includes a good quality tapered leader. (personally, I construct my own from mono)
Old 10-22-2013, 04:54 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Gentlemen, A few threads down in this forum we have one on "Technical Leaders". Now I am specifically addressing dry fly trout leaders there not what I use for salt or large fly applications but there is the format to get into the advanced fine points. I intend to update it soon as I have been experimenting with furled leaders and educating myself on their potential to transfer energy as well or potentially better that correctly matched to line hand constructed monofilament leaders. More on this latter but not for this person just trying to figure out the fundamentals. Lets let him learn the blood knot first.
oarfish likes this.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:21 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

I agree and look forward to your and Rips future comments on this.

Rick

Last edited by oarfish; 10-22-2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Added content.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:32 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
Not snubbing Joni, just haven't got any experience with her and Mike at Cutthroat has really done right by me. I'm sure hers are great too but I have to go with what I know when giving advice.
No experience (not a bad thing) with Mike's furled leaders. But have Joni's on the working end of several of my 2hander rods right down to 3wts. Cast and they lay out like a 'yard stick' even at 6 foot long plus leader at the end.

End game of the above is if you haven't used one (from whom ever) drop a few dollars and you are 'In for the ride.'

fae
mridenour likes this.