The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 12:19 AM

mtbusman has a spectacular aura aboutmtbusman has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: fly line shrink tube, slip on leaderss etc.

I gotta agree with the idea of using a nail knot, especially with floating lines. I hadn't seen the Borger video though. That's cool. Maybe I can get rid of the long thin nail I use.

I'm still tying my leaders based on an article that Gary wrote for the Flyfisher in the 1980s, "principles of leader design." He recommended in that article (among other things) that you nail knot a 10" connector of heavy mono to the end of your fly line. Then, you can tie your leader(s) to this using a blood or other suitable knot. You won't have to make a new nail knot every time you need a new leader. And it helps make a smooth connection between the fly line and the leader. No loops, better transition.

One other thing you can try. Put a small amount of Knot Sense over your knot. Not too much -- you don't want to add too much mass to your knot -- but with a little at each end of the knot, you can make it so the knot slips throught the guides almost like it wasn't there.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:16 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sure I could get better with a nail knot over time. With a tube it only took a few attempts. Perhaps easier with a tool. I know they are easier sitting on the couch than they are with cold fingers on the stream.

There are variations of the nail knot as well and I may be trying to tie one of that is not as easy. I found one set of instructions on the net that said "wrap the line 30 times". Are you kidding me?

I can try most all the advice on this thread and see what I prefer over time. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by ia_trouter; 10-30-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:14 AM
mridenour

I use the Borger Nail-less method. It is the simplest, fastest method I have tried yet.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:19 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

for nail knots i use this

Click the image to open in full size.

tie-fast knot tier. works great

casey

ARFE
Old 10-30-2013, 07:09 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road

tiefast tool or loop to loop only way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2013, 12:35 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbusman View Post

I'm still tying my leaders based on an article that Gary wrote for the Flyfisher in the 1980s, "principles of leader design." He recommended in that article (among other things) that you nail knot a 10" connector of heavy mono to the end of your fly line. Then, you can tie your leader(s) to this using a blood or other suitable knot. You won't have to make a new nail knot every time you need a new leader. And it helps make a smooth connection between the fly line and the leader. No loops, better transition.

One other thing you can try. Put a small amount of Knot Sense over your knot. Not too much -- you don't want to add too much mass to your knot -- but with a little at each end of the knot, you can make it so the knot slips throught the guides almost like it wasn't there.
I also smooth the nail knot but I use use Pliobond.

The way to to keep knots from catching on the rod and tip top guides is to TURN THE ROD OVER (reel up) when bringing the leader knots into the fly rod guides. The knots then ride along the fly rod blank and NOT over the the guides. It is a simple and effective way of keeping those big fish from breaking off when you need to bring the nail knot into the guides.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-30-2013, 01:39 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

I use leader links. They are quick & painless, especially in you are using tapered leaders.

Eagle Claw Leader Link - 5 Pk. Kittery Trading Post

They don't force a hinge at the end of the fly line either.

Only knot required is a simple over hand knot.

To instal a new leader: force the butt of the leader out of the link, clip the overhand or double over hand knot off and slide the old leader out. Then feed the tippet back threw the link and pull it threw. Tie an overhand or double over hand knot and pull snug. Clip tag and tie on what ever you want for tippet.

I have never be able to figure out why more people don't use this.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:45 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

for a super cheap nail knot tool just grab a tiny coffee stirrer at a gas station, about the right diameter and most are hollow down the center.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:03 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

That's a good idea Craig. I have some bulk brake brake line in the garage that would work too but it didn't occur to me the other night. I sure can't do it right with a nail.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:31 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Yeah I used the loop to loop on the new line but once I have my leader nailed down for it I will cut the loop and nail knot it on. Also if the leader gets real bad it is easy enough to splice it further up the butt end or create a short perfection loop so you can easily replace the leader if it gets destroyed.