The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   fly line shrink tube, slip on leaderss etc. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/335687-fly-line-shrink-tube-slip-leaderss-etc.html)

ia_trouter 10-29-2013 07:41 PM

fly line shrink tube, slip on leaderss etc.

Search isn't working for me. I want to add a loop on my fly lines. Does anyone have a source for the proper shrink tube. Or are slip on loops a better idea.

craigthor 10-29-2013 07:49 PM

Re: fly line shrink tube, slip on leaderss etc.

Nail knot it.... Practice first as the first dozen are the hardest to dress properly after that they are fairly easy.

jaybo41 10-29-2013 07:54 PM

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...pey-lines.html

Have a look at that thread. The Red Shed has everything that you need.

caseywise 10-29-2013 08:00 PM

i've used rio braided loops and really like them.
Braided Loops - Fly Fishing Gear | RIO

casey

fq13 10-29-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigthor (Post 605982)
Nail knot it.... Practice first as the first dozen are the hardest to dress properly after that they are fairly easy.

Buy the tool. Best five bucks you'll spend. A nail knot where the mono bites into the fly line is stronger than a loop every day.
Tie a dozen and you'll wonder why you thought it was hard.(Though I'm not signing up to use a nail).

ia_trouter 10-29-2013 08:42 PM

Had a piece of tubing that worked before but couldn't find it yesterday when I needed it. No to just using a nail method, my fingers just aren't that talented. If I didn't go through so many leaders as a noob I wouldn't mind jacking with a nail knot every time. As far as strength of a loop strength, I'm thinking the 4 LB tippet breaks first? I'll do a nail knot on my pike rod.

TeddyBallgame09 10-29-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fq13 (Post 605997)
Buy the tool. Best five bucks you'll spend. A nail knot where the mono bites into the fly line is stronger than a loop every day.
Tie a dozen and you'll wonder why you thought it was hard.(Though I'm not signing up to use a nail).

^^^^^
What he said :-)

Seriously...buy a nail knot tool....until you do, you'll feel like a caveman before fire was invented.

ia_trouter 10-29-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigthor (Post 605982)

You wanna be my streamside "Knot Boy" forever Craig? I'm trying to make this easier on ya :)

Craig and I fish together some if that didn't make it obvious. I'll buy a tool. I just haven't noticed them where I shop. I'm still putting a loop on one of my lines too. Gotta let me learn some of this stuff for myself. I use heat shrink insulation all the time at work. Can't be that much different.

silver creek 10-29-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ia_trouter (Post 606009)
You wanna be my streamside "Knot Boy" forever Craig? I'm trying to make this easier on ya :)

.... I use heat shrink insulation all the time at work. Can't be that much different.

I've found that the heat shrink tubing stiffens the section of fly line more than a nail knot does. What then happens is that the fly line "hinges" and cracks at the edge of the heat shrink tubing. I'm sure that has happened to you if you use the tubing. Then water gets into the fly line core.

The nail knot also stiffens the fly line, but it seems to allow the fly line to bend a bit more, and the fly line coating doesn't crack as fast.

You don't need Craig as a Knot Boy. For the individual with 10 thumbs, I recommend the "nailless" nail knot.

Instructions and video are below.

Gary Borger Nailless Nail Knot

ia_trouter 10-29-2013 10:12 PM

Thanks Silver, that is definitely a much easier knot that appears to cinch down very tightly on the flyline. I'll give that a try on one of my lines.