The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 07:41 PM

ia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to all
Default fly line shrink tube, slip on leaderss etc.

Search isn't working for me. I want to add a loop on my fly lines. Does anyone have a source for the proper shrink tube. Or are slip on loops a better idea.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:49 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: fly line shrink tube, slip on leaderss etc.

Nail knot it.... Practice first as the first dozen are the hardest to dress properly after that they are fairly easy.
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:54 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...pey-lines.html

Have a look at that thread. The Red Shed has everything that you need.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:00 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i've used rio braided loops and really like them.
Braided Loops - Fly Fishing Gear | RIO

casey
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 10-29-2013, 08:31 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Nail knot it.... Practice first as the first dozen are the hardest to dress properly after that they are fairly easy.
Buy the tool. Best five bucks you'll spend. A nail knot where the mono bites into the fly line is stronger than a loop every day.
Tie a dozen and you'll wonder why you thought it was hard.(Though I'm not signing up to use a nail).
TeddyBallgame09 likes this.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:42 PM

ia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to all

Had a piece of tubing that worked before but couldn't find it yesterday when I needed it. No to just using a nail method, my fingers just aren't that talented. If I didn't go through so many leaders as a noob I wouldn't mind jacking with a nail knot every time. As far as strength of a loop strength, I'm thinking the 4 LB tippet breaks first? I'll do a nail knot on my pike rod.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:44 PM

TeddyBallgame09 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: fly line shrink tube, slip on leaderss etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
Buy the tool. Best five bucks you'll spend. A nail knot where the mono bites into the fly line is stronger than a loop every day.
Tie a dozen and you'll wonder why you thought it was hard.(Though I'm not signing up to use a nail).
^^^^^
What he said :-)

Seriously...buy a nail knot tool....until you do, you'll feel like a caveman before fire was invented.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
You wanna be my streamside "Knot Boy" forever Craig? I'm trying to make this easier on ya

Craig and I fish together some if that didn't make it obvious. I'll buy a tool. I just haven't noticed them where I shop. I'm still putting a loop on one of my lines too. Gotta let me learn some of this stuff for myself. I use heat shrink insulation all the time at work. Can't be that much different.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
You wanna be my streamside "Knot Boy" forever Craig? I'm trying to make this easier on ya

.... I use heat shrink insulation all the time at work. Can't be that much different.
I've found that the heat shrink tubing stiffens the section of fly line more than a nail knot does. What then happens is that the fly line "hinges" and cracks at the edge of the heat shrink tubing. I'm sure that has happened to you if you use the tubing. Then water gets into the fly line core.

The nail knot also stiffens the fly line, but it seems to allow the fly line to bend a bit more, and the fly line coating doesn't crack as fast.

You don't need Craig as a Knot Boy. For the individual with 10 thumbs, I recommend the "nailless" nail knot.

Instructions and video are below.

Gary Borger Nailless Nail Knot

mcnerney and mridenour like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-29-2013, 10:12 PM

Thanks Silver, that is definitely a much easier knot that appears to cinch down very tightly on the flyline. I'll give that a try on one of my lines.