The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 02:49 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road
Default Re: AirFlo Super-Dri Elite

Is it the PU coating that reduces the stretch of the line?
Old 11-08-2013, 02:52 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by throssing View Post
That I don't know maybe someone who has more time with the AirFlo might speak up, that or shoot an email off to them.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:23 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

PU coating is proven to be much stronger than the standard PVC coatings of companies such as rio, sci-angler, wulff, cortland and many others. The airflo lines aren't just coated with polyurethane, they are made of it. This material is the strongest and longest lasting fly line material available to us. Something to think about while making fly line purchases.
jaybo41 and craigthor like this.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:56 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by throssing View Post
It is a proprietary low-stretch core material that is responsible for the very limited stretch of Airflo lines. Especially in the salt, this feature poses interesting advantages as when stripping and pausing a retrieve you have a remarkable direct connection with your fly for a strip-strike.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:01 AM

royalcoach is on a distinguished road

Hey gang.... any new chatter about these new lines ?

I would like to know if the Exceed is a 1/2 line wt heavier or what ?
And wondering if the Elite is true line wt specific ?
Don't really like the color of the Mend .....

I need new floaters for my 3, 4, and 5 wts this season.....

I fished a couple of Ridge Tactical lines the past 3 seasons...
The tips started to sink on both last season. Was going to go back to SA but those Ridge lines sure do cast nice !

Tight Lines !
Old 02-14-2014, 11:10 AM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcoach View Post
Hey gang.... any new chatter about these new lines ?

I would like to know if the Exceed is a 1/2 line wt heavier or what ?
And wondering if the Elite is true line wt specific ?
Don't really like the color of the Mend .....

I need new floaters for my 3, 4, and 5 wts this season.....

I fished a couple of Ridge Tactical lines the past 3 seasons...
The tips started to sink on both last season. Was going to go back to SA but those Ridge lines sure do cast nice !

Tight Lines !
I really like the SDE from Airflo, as for grain weight I never weighed mine though they always cast nice and smooth on the rods they were listed for. One thing to note if you purchase the DT version the front taper is actually longer than the WF version. The front taper in the WF version in a 6wt is 7.5' and the DT front taper is 14'. Just something to keep in mind. The DT version turned over trout flies very nicely.

I've also tried to email Airflo a couple of times about grain weights but have never heard anything back from them so if you have a scale that would be the best way to find out.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:20 AM

horsehead will become famous soon enoughhorsehead will become famous soon enough

Ran across this while trying to find grain weights for Airflo lines:

Rio, Airflo, SA Fly Lines: Review & Product Guide | The Caddis Fly: Oregon Fly Fishing Blog

Apparently he had company reps answering some questions, and this is what he said about weight:

"The majority of Airflo’s lines are built to AFTMA standard line ranges measuring the first 30’ of the head (attached). The exception is the 40+ which is weighted heavy to perform like an integrated shooting head. In most cases, you can simply match the line size to the rod size. The AirFlo 40+ works best on medium fast and fast, normal to stiff power rods. The AirFlo Sixth Sense and Ridge Technical lines are presentation lines and match well with slow action and medium action rods (but still perform fine on other rods). The AirFlo Tactical and AirFlo Impact perform best on medium-fast and fast rods."

Granted, this info is from 2011 and may be outdated, but could be helpful nonetheless.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:48 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
I have consider buying this line . Is it a true line wt?
I asked an Airflo rep this very question yesterday. The Super Dri Elite is true to line weight. The Super Dri Exceed is 1/2 to 3/4 heavier, similar to the Rio Grand or SA GPX.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:52 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I've been reading about airflow lines for a long time now on several forums and finally bought a used one off another forum "hardly used" for 25 bucks - a 12 wt. tropical, clear-tip floating. I've not yet cast it because I screwed up my back a few days ago, but have it readied for tarpon with strong connections on each end. It does not sound much like the Super-Dri at all. But I have no idea what generation line it is either.

I was amazed at how rubbery it is, how stretchy it is, and how thick the running line is (0.057") - 12 thou. thicker than my Leviathan running line (0.045"). It also compresses to 0.025" with a digital caliper whereas the Leviathan compress to only 0.040". So the Airflow loses 57% of its relaxed diameter upon compression compared to 11% for the Leviathan.

That is amazing to me. Nothing on Airflow's website indicates what kind of material it's made of, but it is very soft whatever it is. The solid mono core is clearly not hard mono core, nor a high breaking strength like the Leviathan.

I have a feeling I know why it was "hardly used" but will reserve judgement until I try it. Perhaps there is some reverse magic going on with it.

After I try it in the heat, I will post up what I think of it.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:52 PM

rapman is on a distinguished road

I had a Airflo Ridge line a few years back. it was the worst line I've ever owned for memory - it stayed coiled like a spring, particularly in the cold.

Curious if anyone else has found this too, or if they've fixed this problem.