The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 07:35 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: AirFlo Super-Dri Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapman View Post
I had a Airflo Ridge line a few years back. it was the worst line I've ever owned for memory - it stayed coiled like a spring, particularly in the cold.

Curious if anyone else has found this too, or if they've fixed this problem.
No problems with any of the ones I've tried.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:15 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I had a Airflo Ridge line a few years back. it was the worst line I've ever owned for memory - it stayed coiled like a spring, particularly in the cold.

I had that problem with some of the earlier Airflo lines before they invented the Ridge, but have not had it with the Ridge.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:33 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a few Airflo lines and I don't have issues with coils, maybe I jumped in with them at the right time. Sounds like some of you have had some older model lines that have given you problems.

I'm really considering the SD Elite based on personal experience with the Technical Trout line I've got and more so, the time I've spent with SD Mend. I fished that this winter in some cold water and really enjoyed it.

Anyone have first hand experience with this line on rods that also like Rio Gold?

Last edited by jaybo41; 02-25-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:51 PM

fuzzback is on a distinguished road

Quote:

They have for sure! Last two generations (supple tactical and super-dri) are among the most memory-free of all lines. You'll notice this even as it comes off the factory spool.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:33 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

I was on another Airflo thread asking a fisherman whose using the SD Exceed for his 4wt Zenith and he is very happy with the line. I am going to give that line a try.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:46 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I am curious to hear some more opinions too. I read elsewhere the elite is true to weight while the xceed is 1/2 wt over. Getting ready for new lines on a four and five wt.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:00 PM

haligator is on a distinguished road

I wanted to post my experience with these lines. I love the way they cast and mend. They are no better than Rio trout lines, but very nice. I used it for three days, two of which were washed out by rain, on Spring Creek, PA. On the last evening the Sulphers were hatching, and 10-12 trout were rising. With 20 minutes of daylight left I tangled my 6x tippet on my fly line on a forward cast. The tippet was wrapped around the AirFlo DT 4 weight line, and it had sliced completely threw the entire line to the braided core. Needless to say my fishing was over for the night. I have never had this happen with any fly line. I don't know what they use instead of PVC, but if a 6x tippet cut it I don't want it. I'm going back to Rio Trout lines.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:08 PM

wjl will become famous soon enough

About a month ago I purchase the 3 wt elite and was not too happy do not know if it was a batch or a fluke. The first line at the leader end had what were two crush marks to the core, returned it and bought another which had the same thing except 6 marks to the core.
I did email with pictures Air Flow and they said it is a first and they said they offered a discount.
I moved on and will stick with SA or RIO.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:02 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligator View Post
I wanted to post my experience with these lines. I love the way they cast and mend. They are no better than Rio trout lines, but very nice. I used it for three days, two of which were washed out by rain, on Spring Creek, PA. On the last evening the Sulphers were hatching, and 10-12 trout were rising. With 20 minutes of daylight left I tangled my 6x tippet on my fly line on a forward cast. The tippet was wrapped around the AirFlo DT 4 weight line, and it had sliced completely threw the entire line to the braided core. Needless to say my fishing was over for the night. I have never had this happen with any fly line. I don't know what they use instead of PVC, but if a 6x tippet cut it I don't want it. I'm going back to Rio Trout lines.
Airflo uses Polyurethane instead of PVC. A distinct advantage of this is less if any cracking after years of use and another plus is that it's resistant to Deet. For what it's worth to you, I've done the same thing to Rio line so my suspicion is that it had more to do with the specific tangle you got on this one and less to do with the brand. If you still have the line and the core itself hasn't been cut, you can easily repair it with some tubing and a heat gun. Although you're not making loops, read this thread and you can likely get the idea of how to repair it.

Making Welded Loops In Spey Lines
Old 05-19-2014, 07:41 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Over the years myself & others I know have used Airflo Lines although we found they were good Lines which would Cast & Shoot well we also had Memory problems as we do a lot of Night Fishing.
Even though I still have a couple I've stayed away from them & always wondered what their new Lines were like.
Thanks Guys as I now know & will try them again even though I have many other once or unused Lines.
I used mainly a Cortland Syllk Line in Alaska Last year & found it to be quite good..
Brian.