The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 07:05 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default AirFlo Super-Dri Elite

Got my 2 wt line out to play with yesterday and have to say I am really liking the feel and action of this line. Wasn't the full experience as my 2wt rod won't be here till Monday so I was using my 6'6" 3wt SFT for testing.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:51 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: AirFlo Super-Dri Elite

I observed it all day. He was tossing an underlined rod while he awaits his custom, often in a fair breeze. The line lays down on the water ridiculously nice. If it performs that way when its sub freezing, I am seriously considering asking Santa for a spool.
craigthor likes this.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:12 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

I have consider buying this line . Is it a true line wt?
Old 11-02-2013, 08:33 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
I observed it all day. He was tossing an underlined rod while he awaits his custom, often in a fair breeze. The line lays down on the water ridiculously nice. If it performs that way when its sub freezing, I am seriously considering asking Santa for a spool.
only one way to find out. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
Honestly not sure how to tell, guessing would be by using a grain scale which I don't have. Here is the AirFlo site info Airflo Ridge Super-Dri Elite Reel

This line floated really well stayed up top and could cast tiny 18-20's with easy even in the wind.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:21 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
Billy, I would recommend real research because the stuff isn't cheap. FWIW, my hunch is slightly heavy like most lines. Almost as much range as the 3WT silk he was tossing last week. His 3WT Orvis 6-6 "ice fishing rod" was handling it pretty well. It just looks so much more supple than the 40 dollar stuff I toss. Lays down much like the Gucci silk line he liked last week.

Craig changes out gear about as often as most folks change their undies so stay tuned for future high end gear product reviews next week.

I got next Friday off if you want to demonstrate some 100 dollar tippet.
craigthor likes this.

Last edited by ia_trouter; 11-02-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Billy, I would recommend real research because the stuff isn't cheap. FWIW, my hunch is slightly heavy like most lines. Almost as much range as the 3WT silk he was tossing last week. His 3WT Orvis 6-6 "ice fishing rod" was handling it pretty well. It just looks so much more supple than the 40 dollar stuff I toss. Lays down much like the Gucci silk line he liked last week.

Craig changes out gear about as often as most folks change their undies so stay tuned for future high end gear product reviews next week.

I got net Friday off if you want to demonstrate some 100 dollar tippet.
I think this stuff lays out better than the Sylk I have been using though I will have to cut that darned loop and nail knot it on so it quits getting stuck in my guides. Also I think it casts a touch farther though it will be fun to get a calm day and see what it can do.

LOL gold spun 6x tippet in the works, though I do spend $15 for my tippet, but the Varivas Master Spec Mono has proven itself.

Someone has to do the hard testing of gear otherwise we won't know how well it does.

Next Friday looks promising so far on the weather with sun and cooler temps. Where do you want to go? I'll have to tie some mini buggers next week my order comes in Monday. Also you'll have to raid the tying drawer for some materials to play with.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:53 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Something you should consider with airflo lines is, yes they are expensive, but they will outlast any other line material out there due to the polyurethane material as opposed to PVC like every other manufacturer. I literally have an airflo line that is 6 years old and still performs like the day I bought it. So, really dollar per lifetime they are the best deal out there. Boom, you've been airflo'd!
P.S. I weighed my airflo super dri river & stream, and it weighed in at exactly 140 grains, that's balls on for the AFTTA standard 5 weight, can't beat that! Boom airflo'd
Hardyreels, billyspey and jaybo41 like this.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:06 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

I like Airflo lines ,the ridge that I have used in the past Zooms thru the guides , this will be my next new line.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:44 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewlushlife View Post
Something you should consider with airflo lines is, yes they are expensive, but they will outlast any other line material out there due to the polyurethane material as opposed to PVC like every other manufacturer. I literally have an airflo line that is 6 years old and still performs like the day I bought it. So, really dollar per lifetime they are the best deal out there. Boom, you've been airflo'd!
P.S. I weighed my airflo super dri river & stream, and it weighed in at exactly 140 grains, that's balls on for the AFTTA standard 5 weight, can't beat that! Boom airflo'd
I got introduced to Airflo lines maybe 2 years ago and am becoming a convert. They sure seem to be more popular in the two handed angler circles. They don't seem to over market lines to a given species and often fly under the radar when folks are looking for new single hand lines. While that may be important to some (we've all seen those discussions that chastise companies about marketing) they've got other great qualities that are more worthy of consideration.

Love the PU coating as it is Deet resistant, holds up longer and won't crack like the PVC coatings can. This is huge for me given where I fish and the unfortunate necessity to sometimes apply Deet based insect repellants. They are also easier than PVC coated lines to make welded loops with if you happen to break yours.

They're right in line price wise and often less than some of the premium fly lines out there. Add to that the longevity of them and like thenewlushlife points out, they are a worthy investment.

BTW, the Whiz Lube line dressing by Airflo works wonderfully on their lines as you might suspect. I had been using Agent X on my Airflo lines and wasn't overly impressed with the results so I decided to try the Whiz Lube. Noticeable and significant improvement. That's not to say the Agent X is a bad product, I think it is likely formulated to work better with PVC lines and on the Rio or SA lines I use it on it works just fine.

I have Super-Dri Mend on the way to use for Steelies and am anxious to get it wet based on the glowing reviews their new line of lines seems to have garnered thus far.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:28 PM

Got this out today on the new 2wt rod and am a huge fan of this line. Lays out super nicely and casts further than i need it to. Highly accurate and super slick. The new rod is a 7'6" 2wt custom, and I built a ~9' leader/ tippet combo for it. Ended up unspooling my reel when I got home and removing 1/3 of my backing as the spool was too full. I think this line is slightly longer than my 3wt line was as that is what I removed. Only more time will tell how well it will work in the long term.

Any recommended line cleaners/ line winders to unspool it for cleaning.