The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 03:50 PM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Airflo super-dri round 2

So I got my hands on a #5 super-dri river & stream line to match my 9' 5 weight VXP a while ago. At first I liked the line a lot and absolutely adore the taper. However, after fishing it in different conditions and with many different rigs I quickly felt that it was a tad too light in terms of grain weight. So, I sent it back and traded it for the same model in a #6 River & Stream, or (Lake Pro in UK packaging). Now were talkin! the extra weight now just clicks beautifully with this rods flex profile and tip recovery. Now I can cast within 25ft and get a solid loop with excellent turnover, with the #5 I didnt get good turnover or load at this close range due to the long front taper. At 30-50ft, I couldn't be more happy with the line, it turns over so darn well at long range its mind bending to me. The loop stability at long range is so good it feels like cheating, with my GPX line, the loop would become unstable out past 30ft. Not so with the river & stream, this line is like a triangle taper with a belly section, so at first it may feel a bit strange to some of you who havent used triangle tapers, but once you spend some time with it, its love.

For me, this is the perfect taper for my style of fishing, and being an angler that values the fun in false casting and sound technique I couldn't be happier. I am now a HUGE fan of this fly line, for throwing nymphs and streamers its pure magic, for dries it takes a little more practice, but once you get it down this could be the perfect line for the angler that fishes say 60% wet flies and 40% dries. If your thinking of buying this line and have any questions for me about it, let me know
Regards,

-Lush