The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 03:11 PM

balsabug1 is on a distinguished road
Default old fiberglass & modern fly lines

I have an old fiberglass 8 1/2 foot South Bend model 3370 that I'm pairing with an equally old Heddon 320 reel for bluegill/bass fishing. Any thoughts on what modern line would be a good match? The rod is rated for a HDH line, which from what I can tell is a 6 wgt DT...any thoughts on Cortland's Sylk line?
Old 11-09-2013, 04:22 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: old fiberglass & modern fly lines

While there were a few better quality South Bends, for the most part they're not a rod that's going to make you fall in love.
What you should look for is a line that is supple and not too costly.
A line like the 333 or step up to a Hook&Hackle High Floater or even a regular 444peach
Try the lines that you already have first to get an idea of what might work best. You may find that you have a suitable line already.
Some of those South Bends were pretty slow and I think that you may find that a 5wt feels better than a 6.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:25 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: old fiberglass & modern fly lines

the Cortland silk would make a great match. I use them on all my old glass rods. Its the best line to the original ones out there.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..