The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 07:30 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rio Switch Chucker Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa cope View Post
Jaybo, I'm with you, the Chucker is definitely geared more towards swinging. The strait switch is better at nymphing, but I think the Chucker is the more versatile of the two. I've ran both 5 & 10' of t-11up on the tribs and it really sings with the 10 footer.
Ben, i think that you would be pretty safe with the 7 wt 465 gr. for the Dually. You won't have any problem feeling it load, plus your not maxing out your window. Practice makes perfect, or in my case just good enough to catch fish! Tight lines, Jeff.
Jeff, I agree, the Chucker is certainly more versatile and was really really well suited for swinging. I fished a 5119 TCX that sure felt like it was laced with T14 and what a cannon! Now that I give this more thought and have read your comments, I'd agree, the 465 would be the way to go because if you're going to swing, you're adding some mass through the tip. That way, when indy nymphing, you get a little bit more delicate presentation and still plenty of mass to get the line out where it needs to be. My disclaimer is that I don't know much about the Dually other than it's a new rod that seems to be getting a good amount of praise, especially given the price.

PS, if you like the Chucker and want to delve into running lines and heads, give Airflo Rage Compact a try. Really, really sweet line!
ben664 likes this.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:11 PM

Location: Central PA. Surrounded by the best trout water in the entire country.
pa cope will become famous soon enoughpa cope will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
I bought the B Chucker 6wt, the A would be the 5wt. Rio stated it was good for the beginner and I am one.

I do understand that switch/spey lines have more grains per ft than the regular 1 single hand line. However, what about the thickness of the head? In this case, is the 6wt Chucker will have the same head thickness as an 8wt single hand line or is it about the same as the 6wt single hand line but just more dense?
Runningfish, it depends on the length of your head. A shorter head will be "fatter" than a longer one of the same weight. Tight lines, Jeff.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:51 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post

Do you plan to do more indicator nymph/egging and less swinging or more swinging than nymph/egging?
Hi Jaybo, Pa cope !!

Well, I'll practice 70% nymphing 30% swinging streamers. When I say nymphing, it's indi fishing and bottom bouncing with pretty good amount of weight....

I had differents thoughts: here from a user

Read the comments, according to him, the line 7 is better.

Now, I sent a mail at Redsflyshop, and say the 8 wt line is better.....

Stick with the "B" rating, as even a lot of highly experienced spey casters stick with the heavier line recs. I hope this helps.

Red's Fly Shop Guys and Gals
509-933-2300

That said, rods can be touchy and you might find that on the Dually, the A recommendation is where it's at. 520 Grains seems like a bit of overload to me, just my opinion.

Exactly Jaybo.... 520 grains is a lot for the rod recommendation of +/- 50 of 475..... and 465 grain (7 wt) should be ok... maybe a little light for a beguinner like me, but I almost always fish with weight (spli shot). The better option I see, is the regular Switch line 6/7 (500 grains)

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines...h/switch-line/

That said, I'd like to swing streamers. But, in this case, changing the spool of the reel and going with a Skagit..... No ?

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

Found this:

Redington Dually Switch Rod Review and Rio Switch Chucker Fly Line | Red's Fishing Report and Blog

from the page :

Rio Switch Chucker Fly Line Review:

Alas. A Shooting Head style line for switch rods with a gentle back taper so that you can handle an indicator at 30+ feet. We have been waiting for this line! Prior to this line the best “contiguous one piece” fly line that filled the bill was the Wulff Ambush. Which is still an awesome line! Especially if you plan to exclusively shooting line and swing flies or strip streamers. I got the pleasure of casting this line as a prototype far before it actually hit the market. In fact, I have a pretty worn it out casting everything that swings on my Sage 7116-4 ONE Switch Rod. These lines are “sized to fit” so a #7 Rio Switch Chucker gets paired with a 7 weight switch rod. Super easy.

Last edited by ben664; 11-23-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:45 AM

Ben, I feel totally comfortable suggesting the 465gr for you with the Dually. The taper on the Chucker will turn over your heaviest indie rig, and with sink tips for swinging you'll have no problems with the rod loading. The Redington Dually is not a broom stick, it will be good to you. I believe you'll be knocking out nice casts with just a little time on the water. Tight lines, Jeff.
jaybo41 and ben664 like this.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:04 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

This is an amazing thread; until the 'above' I'd never seen a reference to the line. Sounds like RIO 'nailed it.'

Fred
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:58 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

The piece that's pretty important that I don't have experience with is the Dually. From what I've read it is just as pa cope described, not a broomstick and as such I have to agree that going with the 465 will be a good match. If you want to swing, get some T-tips and you should be golden, but the line itself will allow you to turn over double nymph rigs with an indicator and plenty of lead.

Like I said, I have the Rio Switch line on my 6110 and it does excel at double nymph indy fishing. Swinging flies, not quite as much. The Chucker is as cope described, more universal for fishing those two applications. I'd think if I were going to buy one off the shelf line with integrated running line to swing or indy nymph with, this would be the one. Hell I'm damn near talking myself into replacing my switch line just typing this LOL.

Steve Godshall can undoubtedly get you the right line too if you want a custom cut line.

Ben, rather than buy another spool, I'd suggest going with running line and heads. It's going to be cheaper and easier to carry around than another spool or reel for that matter.
fredaevans and ben664 like this.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:58 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Lot of good infos here guys ! thanks a lot !!

So, it's clearer for me now.... (at least for switch lines !) but Spey lines, it's an other story !

The rod and line will be my Xmas gift this year.... I wish !

When I'll have it, I ll put a quik review. In January, I'll test it with big browns of a Spanish tailwater.
fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:49 PM

josie will become famous soon enough

This is a great topic. Thanks for all the great info. I just recently added a Beulah Classic 7/8 switch to arsenal and am trying to sort out what line to choose. I know Beulah makes a switch line specifically to suit their rods. Would the Rio Chucker be a good choice? In the 7wt or 8wt.? I have always been mostly a nympher. I don not use an indicator, never have. I really enjoy swinging to those steelhead too. The Rio sounds like just what i need. Thank you for any opinions.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
This is an amazing thread; until the 'above' I'd never seen a reference to the line. Sounds like RIO 'nailed it.'

Fred
Fred, I think Rio has definitely come the closest to "nailing it" for a dual purpose switch rod head so far. The Rio Switch and Airflo Speydicator are good nymphing lines for 2 handers, but were poor performers when it came time to swing. Tight lines, Jeff.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

Josie, I think Beulah recommends a 425gr Skagit, so the 6wt Chucker @ 420gr would be a good one to try. Tight lines, Jeff.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:37 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I just got back from my first switch practice with the Beulah Classic 5/6 setup with the Saltwater Rio Outbound 8wt single hand 330 grain while the Chucker #6 is still in the mail.

I must tell you it was very difficult to load the rod with it, I managed to get "good" casts when I put the slip bobber, but not with straight polyleaders. I guess the bobber helped to create more drag and that loaded the rod better. The Outbound however was great for overhead single hand casting, but you need to double haul belgian cast with 60ft line up in the air.

Something really weird happened as well. I am a right handed, but I cast better with my left hand. The anchoring was better and the shooting also better than my right hand. Maybe because my right hand is used to fast rod and the Beulah Classic is more like Medium Fast.

I hope that the Chucker will be in before next weekend so I can try it and build up the confidence.

in summary, Rio Outbond not good for spey/switch but good for 1 hand cast.