The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 04:00 PM

Location: Central PA. Surrounded by the best trout water in the entire country.
pa cope will become famous soon enoughpa cope will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rio Switch Chucker Impressions

I've never been really fond of putting single hand line on a 2 hander. It always seemed like putting mud tires on a Ferrari. Tight lines, Jeff.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:00 AM

josie will become famous soon enough

pa cope....thanks for the insight. Being relatively new to the two handers there is an overwhelming amount of information out there regarding line weights and set ups. Tends to be somewhat confusing. I checked out the Rio site and they recommend matching line wt with the rod wt. totally confused now. I do very much appreciate your experience on this.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:53 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie View Post
pa cope....thanks for the insight. Being relatively new to the two handers there is an overwhelming amount of information out there regarding line weights and set ups. Tends to be somewhat confusing. I checked out the Rio site and they recommend matching line wt with the rod wt. totally confused now. I do very much appreciate your experience on this.
No need to be confused by the RIO site, it was done by Simon G one of the worlds best casters and instructors. The only thing you have to keep in mind are: 1) it cover's their lines only, but you can get a good idea how other manufacturer's lines may 'match' as to grains. 2) Simon uses a "A" and "B" designation (the "A" being the lighter of the two). "A" is for 'good casters,' "B" for less so. That said, even good casters tend to go to the "B" designation. Larger flies also take more 'mass in the ass' to toss. 3) Is the intended application. Full Dry line, one for sinking poly leaders, and lastly full on sink tips. All these lines will vary by design for 'best' for a given application. (That's where you end up spending the real money.) **

In general terms any rod will handle any 'proper' line choice, but there are limitations. To over simplify rods below a 6wt just don't have the 'oumph' to handle sink tips, but a sinking poly leader may work just fine. Even a 6wt won't handle a full on sink tip so there you go to the "T" material as these can be cut to any length.

Reason being there's no taper of any kind, same size (diameter) end to end. As the "T" material ranges from 8 to 20 you have a heck of a lot of choices as to what to tie onto the end of your fly line. The number designation indicates 'grains per foot.' 10 foot of T-8 would weight 80 grains, etc.

So to bring this to a point the choice of line has more to do with how you intend to use same and the fishing conditions.
IMHO 'fishing conditions' are the real driving issues.

Where do the 'fish' come into this? The choice of rod weight you need to use. Example: You're fishing for 'large fish' like Salmon. A 5wt is inappropriate, you need at least an 8. Fishing for 3-5 pound Steelhead, you could use the 8, but far more fun with the 5.

Fred

Edit:

** Choice of 'type of fly line build.' Two types: Full integrated shooting line/head and a 'head system.' With the first you get the whole thing beginning to end. With the second you purchase the shooting line and the 'heads' separately. A tad more expensive but far more versatile. Conditions 'change' you just swap out the head and be done with it. The two are connected by a loop to loop system. Not to worry about the connection as 95% of the time that's going to be out side the 'tip top.' Only two times it can be a bit of a pain is when you have to fish very short or in landing a fish. But, in general they're so small/compact it won't make any difference at all.

All in all, go for the 'head systems.'

fae
jaybo41 and pa cope like this.

Last edited by fredaevans; 11-24-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:48 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Ben, if you are a new switch rodder like me, I suggest you to go with the "B" option. Event the better caster would go with the heavier line. I like Rio products and like them even more after Simon G clearly explains the Spey lines. Well, everyone can explain about the spey line but the way he explained it just tells me how he really knows his stuffs and that translate to the fly lines that he designs and recommends for us.

For me it was an easy choice what weight and type to choose for the Chuckers, the type B/#6 for the beginner. Don't let the word beginner steers you away, the fish won't know it.

In my previous posting I reported that I had difficulties in my first switch rod practice with my Rio Outbound 8wt. Rio/Simon recommended the 7wt Rio Outbound for my Beulah Classic 5/6 not the 8wt that I used. I could shoot the running line out even on the grass but it wasn't pretty. I guess the mismatch in line weight is the reason for my loop to collapse in mid air other than my noob switch skills.

below is the SG video (you might have seen it) that I mentioned about, I hope this will help you.
ben664 likes this.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:02 PM

put is on a distinguished road

Hi- I have started to use nymphs without an indicator depending on conditions and the run.I also swing. I will use an indicator at times as well. Most of my fishing is 70% swinging and 30% nymphing. Would you recommend the Beulah Platinum Switch or the longer Sage One or another switch rod for nymphing? Is the Rio Chucker a slightly lighter/thinner head than the Rio Switch or vice versa? Great thread. I currently use a speydicator line on a TFO 6 weight switch for nymphing, but was wondering if the Beulah or Sage with one of the Rio Switch or Chucker lines would be a better steelhead rig. Thanks
Old 11-27-2013, 10:41 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there, I am in no position to recommend you about the Beulah Platinum or Sage since I don't have any. But you can contact pa cope and thenewlushlife. They are knowledgeable and helped me a lot in my switch rod and line decision making. I still haven't received the Rio Chuckers yet so I wouldn't know the actual size of it.

About the Beulah, I only practiced with it twice with a mismatch line. Once on a lake and once on the grass and it still felt really good. The Beulah Classic 5/6 is slowly pushing my 6wt Vapen and 8wt Zenith to the bench now.
The Beulah is 6.1oz compared to the Vapen 4.2oz and Zenith 3.2oz. But the Beulah feels as light as the Zenith in my hand. I can't imagine how good is the more expensive Platinum will be.

Anyway, contact those two for more infos but the other members are also great in giving you suggestions. The members here are like the Fly Fishing Wikipedia.

Welcome to the forum.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:53 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by put View Post
Hi- I have started to use nymphs without an indicator depending on conditions and the run.I also swing. I will use an indicator at times as well. Most of my fishing is 70% swinging and 30% nymphing. Would you recommend the Beulah Platinum Switch or the longer Sage One or another switch rod for nymphing? Is the Rio Chucker a slightly lighter/thinner head than the Rio Switch or vice versa? Great thread. I currently use a speydicator line on a TFO 6 weight switch for nymphing, but was wondering if the Beulah or Sage with one of the Rio Switch or Chucker lines would be a better steelhead rig. Thanks
I can't suggest one rod over the other, but I can offer insight on the lines. Your Speydicator line will be very similar to Sage Switch line, the tapers are a little different but both are ideal nymphing lines. The Chucker line will be more at home swinging, but I suspect will perform admirably tossing indicators, lead and nymphs. Whichever rod you end up with pay attention to the grain windows each manufacturer recommends. You can probably take Sage's recommendations from the Rio website, but for Beulah, you'll want to get their recommendations from their website and compare them to the lines suggested on Rio's Recommendations page.

2014 Recommendations

http://www.rioproducts.com/skin/summ...-Line-Recs.pdf

When you look at these sites, click on the yellow box to see the line profile and by all means note the difference in grains.

Switch Line - Spey Fly Lines | RIO

Switch Chucker - Spey Fly Lines | Rio

Click on the various links you see here too, it's very good reading:

Spey Central - One-Stop Resource for all things Spey | RIO

If you're still in doubt and have specific questions give Rio a call or email them, I'm sure they'll be very helpful.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:06 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
For me it was an easy choice what weight and type to choose for the Chuckers, the type B/#6 for the beginner. Don't let the word beginner steers you away, the fish won't know it.
Hi Runningfish !

Thanks for your reply.

I'm a totally beguinner on switch and 2 hands rods, so, no worry ! I'm a novice lol

I think now I'll go with the switch chucker, and the regular switch line will dissapear from the shops (I receive a mail from a flyshop).

For the Dually 11'3 7 wt, Redington recommand 475 grains +/- 50.

Rio recommand for this rod model "A" 7 wt (465 grains) and "B" 8 wt (520 grains). Don't you think the 8 wt 520 grains is too heavy for the rod ? (The Dually is not a stiff stick.

I've found an article about the Dually here, for the 12,6' 6 wt, the guy have a 420 grains and very happy with it. http://millsfly.blogspot.fr/2013/11/...ts-of-rod.html
Old 12-01-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben664 View Post
Hi Runningfish !

Thanks for your reply.

I'm a totally beguinner on switch and 2 hands rods, so, no worry ! I'm a novice lol

I think now I'll go with the switch chucker, and the regular switch line will dissapear from the shops (I receive a mail from a flyshop).

For the Dually 11'3 7 wt, Redington recommand 475 grains +/- 50.

Rio recommand for this rod model "A" 7 wt (465 grains) and "B" 8 wt (520 grains). Don't you think the 8 wt 520 grains is too heavy for the rod ? (The Dually is not a stiff stick.

I've found an article about the Dually here, for the 12,6' 6 wt, the guy have a 420 grains and very happy with it. Chucking Line and Chasing Tail: The Redington Dually Spey--Lots of Rod for Little Cheddah.
I honestly don't know if the 520 grain will be too heavy or not for the Dually since I am also a beginner and only have casted a Beulah Classic.
The guy who was happy with the 420 grains probably a very good caster or a very good beginner, something that I am not.
What I have learned so far is, I followed the line weight recommendation for the Classic Beulah 10'6" 5/6wt on Rio Products and I could cast it out very easily this morning on the grass.
I think you can't go wrong with either type A or B. It is a very easy line to cast.

I will share you of what I learned this morning. I uttered these words in every phases of casting. Lift-Low-Bend-Shoot. Lift is when I lifted the line off the grass, Low when I dragged and anchored the line to my side, Bend when I accelerated to load the rod, and Shoot when shooting the line.
Repeating each of the steps made me to slow down enough and have more quality casts. You can increase the speed as you starting to get the hang of it. I watched a video of a newbie practicing in a river and that guy just made cast after cast without slowing down and analyzing his mistakes. He basically making the same mistakes but expecting different results.
He couldn't anchor well, too fast, bad rod angles, etc. I told myself I won't be that guy (No offense guy).

Moreover, I found out that leaving about 0.5-1ft of running line in front of the rod tip helps to load the rod better. Regardless, I can still shoot the running line out with the Chucker head 5 ft inside the rod. Look for Andrew Moy and Scott Howell's videos on Youtube they are great help.

Good luck with the Chucker and hopefully you are a quicker learner than I am. I am having a minor soreness on the collar bone from the practice this morning, it tells me that my technique isn't right.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:28 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Thanks runningfish !

I'm not a pro of casting....

But, during my last trip, I used a 10' 7wt rod, doing only overhead casts at the beguinning. 3 days later on my trip, I only used spey and snake casts for nymphing. So I deceid to give a try to switch rods.

For nymph fishing with switch chuker, do I need a MOW line at the end of the line ?

Thanks