The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 09:57 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rio Switch Chucker Impressions

have the same exact set-up as the original poster. only thing I have had issues with is tossing a large (6-7") articulated streamer. maybe exceeding capabilities of the line/rod, definitely exceeding abilities of the caster.
I love the integrated running line. use it for swinging and stripping flies. its so nice not having to deal with the knots.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:14 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben664 View Post
Thanks runningfish !

I'm not a pro of casting....

But, during my last trip, I used a 10' 7wt rod, doing only overhead casts at the beguinning. 3 days later on my trip, I only used spey and snake casts for nymphing. So I deceid to give a try to switch rods.

For nymph fishing with switch chuker, do I need a MOW line at the end of the line ?

Thanks
Well, I finally able to take the Chucker to the lake today regardless heavy rain and hard wind. The chucker will still shoot the line well even when I had incorrect anchors.

I don't know anything about MOW so I can't comment on that.
But I tried the Rio Spey Versileader 2.9ips 10ft. And I thought I was a pro caster, the chucker basically blasted all the running line no matter how much I stripped out from the reel in nice straight tight loops. No, so much with the Rio Freshwater Versileader 12ft floating. Will shoot all the line but gotta be very precise on the technique and the D loop.

A note from today's practice, obey the 180degree rule or your fly will hit your running time.
ben664 likes this.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:15 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

I receive few days ago my new line. First impression, it's a very thick front head !! So thick for a # 7 !! Have a look on the picts.

Click the image to open in full size.

It look like a line 10 of one hand rod !!

Is it normal ?? I don't try it with the rod for the moment....
Old 01-24-2014, 10:38 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I receive few days ago my new line. First impression, it's a very thick front head !! So thick for a # 7 !! Have a look on the picts.

It look like a line 10 of one hand rod !!

Is it normal ?? I don't try it with the rod for the moment....
Yes Ben it is that THICK! My chucker #6 that I already sold was very thick also, even the bass would have a heart attack with the splash.
But the line will cast good with the right rod. Below is a picture of how it was sitting on my Kraken 3. with no room to spare and that after I carefully placed the line back evenly on the spool.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:28 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't speak to the #7 line exactly and can only comment on the #6 line that I have. It does have a thick head, but that's by design. That's a skagit head. Short, compact and heavy and what's going to help you fish tips and big flies on the swing. When you're not swinging and want to indy fish with it, use a poly leader or make/use a long leader out of Mono or Flouro. From recollection, that's what your intended use was? If so, I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:45 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Thanks guys !

Yes Hans ! I have a Alpha III size 4 and the line feet perfect !

Jaybo, I'll fish mostly swinging tube flies here in Europe, and a lot of nymph this year in November, for Salmon River steelhead !! so, I'll purchase a medium MOW tip float for nymhing !!
Old 01-24-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys !

Yes Hans ! I have a Alpha III size 4 and the line feet perfect !

Jaybo, I'll fish mostly swinging tube flies here in Europe, and a lot of nymph this year in November, for Salmon River steelhead !! so, I'll purchase a medium MOW tip float for nymhing !!
Great Ben! Have fun.