The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 09:36 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Mastery Textured Series Chard's Grand Slam

Has anyone fished a new SA Mastery Textured Grand Slam designed by flats guide Bruce Chard? It has a very aggressive taper with only two feet of front taper to turn over long leaders with weighted flies with authority but a long rear taper to enhance loop stability and energy transfer at distance. I consider it a conceptually fascinating design concept but have yet to acquire one. Maybe for Spring Training 2014.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:27 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Mastery Textured Series Chard's Grand Slam

I freakin' love this line.

Got one directly from Bruce just before heading to the Bahamas this past June and fished it hard for a week. Great for shooting line with a bare minimum of false casting and the textured running line really lets it fly. Paired with my Scott S4S, it was a joy to pitch.

Mike
Old 11-15-2013, 01:57 PM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 has a spectacular aura aboutMAD777 has a spectacular aura about
Default Mastery Textured Series Chard's Grand Slam

I have it in an 8 wt. and the word that comes to mind is, "Powerful!"

When I got it, I took it out into the yard for some grass casting. I pulled a bit of line off the spool and lazily swung the rod to get some line out, but I wasn't prepared! The line shot out with hardly any line past the rod tip and I swear I killed a palmetto bug (giant grasshopper in Florida) in the grass with the force of impact. With a bit of effort, I could dig divots in yard!

The line is about counteracting ocean breezes and turning over big saltwater flies; not finesse. However, a very long leader will soften the blow when that is the objective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2013, 02:59 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Sep and MAD, Thank you for your interesting responses. What tropical lines were you previously using that you swapped this Grand Slam out for? For example, Sep, on my S4s#8 I have tried both SA and RIO Bonefish taper but wound up liking Airflo Ridge Tropic best. I am using RIO Tarpon #8 on my NRX and SA Mastery Bonefish on my Proaxis. It is with the stout Hardy Proaxis I am thinking this new aggressive line might be terrific. Yes, I would fish it with a 12'+ fluoro leader.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:19 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

I'd recently been throwing an SA Mastry Series Redfish (WF-8-F) line as well as a RIO Tropical Outbound Short (WF-9-F). Neither shoots like Chardy's. I like the Outbound, but it needs to be hot or it coils up badly.

And MAD nailed it. Wading the flats, I kept 12 feet or so of the Grand Slam's front end out of the rod tip and ready to go. When the bones showed up it was drop the fly, lift the line into a haul and shoot. Quick and efficient.

And yes, long leaders...

Mike
Old 11-15-2013, 06:59 PM

buggravy will become famous soon enoughbuggravy will become famous soon enough

Any thoughts on this as a Redfish line? From the description it sounds like it would be good at the typical 20 - 40 ft last minute type cast, but I'm usually fishing there (Louisiana) in the cooler months. I was leaning towards the Titan before seeing this. FWIW I'd be using this on an 890 One.