The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 07:52 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Does line price dictate quality?

I've had some good luck with inexpensive lines, but better luck the more I've paid. I'd sum it up this way...expensive doesn't guarantee a line will be good, but a good line tends to be a little more expensive. That said, I have a $10 line that casts as nice as any line I've ever bought. I wish I knew what it was other than pale green.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:57 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Silver Creek is right on in his post I believe. To me, what's most important is the taper and what's going to pair best with your rod based on the type of fishing you're doing. Using the tire analogy, it's true that a tire is to some extent a tire, and you need 4 of them to make your vehicle go but certain types of tires are going to provide a better ride in specific circumstances. Think snow tires or mud tire. Of course then there are the differences between the materials used, the R&D, longevity and naturally everyone's preference.

I believe the same holds true with fly lines. If you're fishing dry flies on spring creeks, you might not want a heavy front taper and may find greater benefit from a line offering a more delicate head.

I used to have a Cabelas Prestige Rod years ago and if it's the same dark green blank, it was pretty much a medium action fly rod.

What kind/size flies, what species of fish are you targeting and where do they live? Lake, pond, stream?

I have some thoughts on which lines to recommend but would like to hear more about what you're fishing for and where before I comment further.

As for color, I generally just get a line that I want to try regardless of color. If there's an option to get one more subdued, then I will typically go that direction.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:02 PM

95chevy will become famous soon enough

Well this year I fished mostly ponds and small streams. Ponds for bluegill and bass and the streams for trout (never caught any other than a 2"rainbow). Next year I plan to target trout alot more.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
Old 11-20-2013, 08:08 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest Rio Gold or perhaps the Perception line if you want a Rio. Another suggestion and one I am dying to try is Airflo's Super-Dri Elite. If it's anything like the new Mend that I just got, it will be spectacular. On a medium action rod, for your type of fishing, I'd have to believe it would be ideal.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:11 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Gills and bass are pretty forgiving in your fly fishing gear choices. Read all you can on this forum and these guys will improve your trout game rapidly.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:27 PM

95chevy will become famous soon enough

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Airfl...Tz_stype%3DGNU

Is this the line you were talking about. From the description it sounds pretty good. And the "yellowish" color doesn't seem too reflective.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:37 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

That is the line he refers to. You can do some searches and I don't think you will find anyone displeased with it.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:00 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

I've got the Super Dri Elite and it is awesome on my 2wt.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:17 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I really like the Rio Trout LT line, and it has an off-color olive for most of the head, and transitions to a cream rear taper and running line.

It's a very nice line, but it has a delicate head and fairly long front taper -- great for dries, soft hackles and smaller stuff -- but a bit more difficult to cast heavier rigs and streamers. I got it not so much for dry fly fishing, but more for soft hackles and SH spey casting. You can't have it both ways though -- that's just the trade-off with fly line tapers.

That said, in general, I can get by with a typical WF line if I'm more aware of the need to soften things up for dries or very clear, calm conditions. If someone held a gun to my head and made me choose 1 fly line, I'd take a regular WF floater in a heartbeat -- it's more versatile for my purposes.

If you're new, even given that you'll do more trout fishing, I'd personally go with a more typical WF floating line vs. a line with a really long and/or delicate front taper -- the Rio gold is excellent, but even something with a shorter head like the SA headstart lines are a great value and will help you with your casting progression.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95chevy View Post
Airflo Super-Dri Elite WF Fly Line : Cabela's

Is this the line you were talking about. From the description it sounds pretty good. And the "yellowish" color doesn't seem too reflective.

I agree. It is a subdued color.

I personally use a green line because it blends in well with a blue sky and the green foliage we have in Wisconsin.

Even when fishing a subdued line, there strategies to prevent fish from seeing the casted fly line overhead. These strategies are double important when fishing a bright line. Even a beginner can succeed using the first strategy.

The first is to fish dry flies in riffles about knee deep. The trout's window overhead is broken up, so it will have a hard time noticing the fly line casted over the window. Since the depth is limited, the window will be small and that will also add to the difficulty of noticing the fly line flashing in the window.

The second is to keep the cast low, casting either up and across or down and across so the fly line avoids going directly over the window. This is really important when fishing flatter water. Learn the elliptical constant tension cast (Belgian Cast). Most videos and descriptions of the Belgian Cast will take the fly rod back low and sidearm and deliver it with an overhead forward cast. Instead of making the forward delivery overhead, make it with the rod tip going forward at about shoulder level. This keep the fly line lower in the window. The lower the fly line, the less apparent it will be to the fish especially when cast is angled somewhat across rather than directly over the fish's window.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy