The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   Does line price dictate quality? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/337723-does-line-price-dictate-quality.html)

95chevy 11-20-2013 03:27 PM

Does line price dictate quality?

I am looking into buying new line for my 5wt. The lone thats on there now is still fine but I don't like the way it casts. So I went to the cablelas website and looked at some line. And the prices seemee to be all over the place. Am I missing something here? Is the price a direct correlation to the quality of the line? And what is a good brand or series of line. I only uave one need and that is that I want it to be orange.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

buddhist_palm 11-20-2013 03:32 PM

Re: Does line price dictate quality?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95chevy (Post 612496)
I am looking into buying new line for my 5wt. The lone thats on there now is still fine but I don't like the way it casts. So I went to the cablelas website and looked at some line. And the prices seemee to be all over the place. Am I missing something here? Is the price a direct correlation to the quality of the line? And what is a good brand or series of line. I only uave one need and that is that I want it to be orange.

i think quality line makes a substantial difference. after going the cheap route for a few years i upgrade my rods to some nice rio line

the difference i could equate to driving with bald tires for so long and finally getting a new set

Hardyreels 11-20-2013 03:35 PM

What are you currently using?

I have several old Scientific Angler Mastery Series DT 5's and 6 weight lines and they seem to work as a fly line should. Since I began fly casting I've used Gladding - Cortland - Orvis - Scientific Angler - Partridge - Rio - Air Flow, and Carron. All of those brands worked as I expected a fly line to.

Ard

95chevy 11-20-2013 03:54 PM

Right now I have what I assume is generic cabelas line since it was on there when I bought the combo.

Hardyreels 11-20-2013 03:56 PM

What is the rod?

silver creek 11-20-2013 04:00 PM

I think line taper (profile) is the key.

Expensive fly lines have better coatings to cast longer, last longer, and float higher. So tap the brains of those on this BB that have your fly rod and see what fly line they find performs the best for them.

As for me, I'm still using an old school Cortland 444 standard WF lines on my rods and I'm perfectly happy.

95chevy 11-20-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 612505)
What is the rod?

It's a cabelas prestige rod.

Hardyreels 11-20-2013 04:16 PM

I would buy a Scientific Angler DT in the line weight specified on the rod. They have always worked fine by me and should for you too. I understand todays economy as well as anyone being that I am not in the top 2% but when considering a fly line I have never looked for the cheapest offerings. I've tried to be smart and not to pay more than needed just to fish a fly but some things are important. A good line is one of those things.

Ard

95chevy 11-20-2013 04:38 PM

Im not concerned about price really. Just wondering if the higher price really meant something. I will look at the scientific anglers line. Ive also read about t some of the rio lines being good.

Hardyreels 11-20-2013 04:51 PM

I don't have any of the Rio lines in regular configurations, mine is a Mid Spey 875 grain and it preforms well. When it comes to something like a DT 5 I've never had a problem with any that I've had from Cortland - SA or Orvis. I forgot to mention that in the past few years I took on a Hardy Mach DT 6 and one of their Mach Spey lines too. Both of them work perfectly also.

I read a lot of posts here about people changing lines every year or so. I believe that to a certain degree some folks are over thinking the line issue. Some of my light DT lines date back into the 1990's and I use them and they work as they did when new. When a line becomes covered with those tiny fractures / cracks, I dye it gray or coco brown and use them for streamer fishing. Having been involved with fly fishing since I was pretty young I have become immune to marketing to some extent. You may be surprised at how long a fly line will provide service.

Ard