The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 11:10 AM

polarbearco is on a distinguished road
Default Rio Gold vs Rio Gold. What's the Difference Here?

I see two different boxes. One is one "sale" for $50 and the other is regularly priced at $75. What's the difference?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Cabelas has both on their website, but shows the 2nd box as "new" and "on sale" for $50.

Are they the exact same line? Different? Is the "MaxFloat" not a feature of the 2nd box?
Old 11-21-2013, 11:15 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rio Gold vs Rio Gold. What's the Difference Here?

I don't believe it is. The new line has some of the new technology included in the build, Max Float, Max Cast. I wouldn't hesitate to jump on the old line given the price if you're looking for Gold. It's great line.

You can read about the new technology here:

http://www.rioproducts.com/fishing-t...ogies/#maxcast
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the reply. If the one on sale doesn't have the Max Float technology and this new technology truly works, I don't mind paying the extra money for the new line. I've been frustrated more than a few times with my two-year-old Gold not always floating at the tip. It's a great line!!!!! But if it's been improved and is even better, I'll go with the new.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:18 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I think the newer one come in dual tone also.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:18 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road

My cynical opinion is that the changes are trivial and driven by marketing. I personally would buy the cheaper of the two Golds.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:24 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Ditto -- I'm sure both are very good fly lines. Consider that I am often using a $9 WF line and enjoying myself, and you'll feel better about the $50 line
Old 11-21-2013, 06:37 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I haven't found a fly line that after time, doesn't ride below the surface after years of use unless treated. Even then, once treated it wears off. Textured SA line is as high floating line as I've found, even a little bit better than Airflo's Super Dri and I do like the Airflo lines I have.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:36 PM

Thanks, all! I ended up ordering the Perception with a $15 off coupon. Aside from a spool of Grand for a pike rod, this will be my first overweighed line. I have no idea how my rod and I will handle it.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:01 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

Stick wit Orvis or SA lines and you wont have to worry about it. they are the only lines I have used for 25+ years. Not a Rio fan
Old 11-22-2013, 12:52 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Well I noticed the difference right off the bat; can't believe I'm the only one. On the first box the fish is facing to the left and on the other box he's facing right.
Liphookedau and dean_mt like this.