Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 10:08 AM

jdifonzo is on a distinguished road
Default over weighting my line

I am new to this forum so .. hello everyone.

My question ... I am buying a Redington classic trout 3# 7' 6" rod with a 2/3 Drift reel. Should I go with a 3# or 4# line. I am thinking the Rio Gold.

I will be fishing small creeks (20" - 25" max in width, or smaller) and high altitude lakes in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 11-22-2013, 10:48 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: over weighting my line

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdifonzo View Post
I am new to this forum so .. hello everyone.

My question ... I am buying a Redington classic trout 3# 7' 6" rod with a 2/3 Drift reel. Should I go with a 3# or 4# line. I am thinking the Rio Gold.

I will be fishing small creeks (20" - 25" max in width, or smaller) and high altitude lakes in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
I've never used Rio Gold but when I looked it up, it looks like it only comes in a WF line. That begs the question, why would you need a WF line in 3 wt 7' 6" fly rod? How often are you going to cast the 47 ft. head out of the rod tip, especially with a 7' 6" fly rod?

Click the image to open in full size.

Why not get a regular DT fly line or a Wulff Triangle Taper DT fly line?

I use a DT fly lines for my 3 wt and 4 wt fly rods. Only when I get to a 5 weight rods and above do I use WF fly lines.

You second question is whether you should over line the fly rod. You over line a fly rod when it too fast an action for relatively shorter casts. But you want to buy a WF line that is made for long casts. Do you see the inherent contradiction in your two questions?

If I understand the action of a Redington classic fly rod is the old style moderate action fly rod that should flex enough on short casts for you to feel the rod. My guess is that 3 wt DT will work fine.

For fishing lakes, I'd get a 9 ft 5 wt fly rod with a WF fly line.
fredaevans and mridenour like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-22-2013, 11:34 AM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

I use a 3DT on mine. It loads just fine. A 3WF would work too but I wouldn't use a 4wt at all unless you really want a slow action.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:58 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road

I agree that sticking to a 3 weight makes sense. I personally would buy a double taper (90') and cut it in half, since you will rarely (never?) be casting more that 45' with that outfit. Put half of the line away and use it when the first half wears out.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:42 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

I have the exact same rod reel combo. Loads just fine with 3WT and it is already a slow rod by todays standards so 4WT probably not advised.