The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 10:12 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Cortland precision Bass vs Rio SM bass

hello,

Has anyone cast these two and can you give a comparison? From the looks of it, the tapers look about the same, however, the Rio looks like it has a very nice handling section to allow for more line carry. Please share your opinions. I want to know more about these two lines.

Thanks,
delopez
Old 11-25-2013, 11:39 AM

uppersippi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cortland precision Bass vs Rio SM bass

I've only tried the Rio SM. I liked the line, but it has an unbelievable memory to it. The coils were bad to deal with. Not sure if the line is old, as I have the Rio Outbound on my other rod and it has almost no memory.

Dan
Old 11-25-2013, 03:53 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

The RIO SM Bass line is a far cry from being an actual bass line, keep in mind, to me a Bass line needs to be able to handle BIG deer hair divers and such so your mileage may vary...

My personal favorite all around floating line for Bass is the SA Textured Mag Taper, can't give you any insight as to the Cortland lines performance, never used one...

The coiling issues were likely due to the fact you weren't fishing it in HOT weather, that's mainly what it was designed for...
Old 11-25-2013, 04:37 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

See, I had the sa line. I'm replacing it now, with the Rio. There have been several occasion where a fish would run and the line would burn the crease of my finger. The half sized heavy magnum line did shoot well though.
If I don't like the Rio line, I will wait until the heat of summer and try it again. The main reason that I'm interested in the Rio line is because of the really long handling section. I will probably get the Cortland as well, just to try it. I can easily go through one line in a season with all of the debris that they seem to get hooked on. Fishing between trees, dealing with wind, rocks, etc. isn't very good at keeping a line in top condition. I would keep the SA on, but I split it down to the core on some rocks while fishing for grass carp last month. If it weren't for the multiple times that I'd been burned, I would purchase another.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

I mean, what else is there? Royal Wulff Bass taper?

Last edited by delopez; 11-25-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:35 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I have actually found the textured lines to burn me less than the smooth ones myself.

If you like the line, why not try buying some cheap finger guards?

Another option, one that is very similar in taper "actually turns over bigger flies a wee bit easier than the textured mag taper" is this: Mastery Series Streamer Express Floating - Mastery Series - Lines

That is a traditional smooth line and a great Bass line as well...

Soon, Scientific Anglers will be offering triple textured lines, what I mean by that is, the front of the lines will be sharkskin as it floats so much better and comes off of the water so much easier, the middle will be the traditional smooth finish and the shooting line will be textured. For starters it will only be available in the Saltwater taper, GPX taper and the Trout taper though...
Old 11-26-2013, 11:57 AM

The MS SE Floating line is only available up to a 7 weight. I'm looking for an 8 weight line...
Old 11-26-2013, 02:19 PM

Well then, you can either buy finger guards and use the textured line you liked or go another route...

ALL lines will burn you if you fish enough, nature of the game...

Good luck in finding the right line for you bud!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:00 PM

Well,

The final verdict... I went with another magnum series. It's too good of a line to give up on. I cast the ripped one last night with my Scierra HM3 8 weight and just loved it. However, this time, I'm trying the sharkskin version with some finger guards.

Now, I'm going to start chasing down a sink tip line. I have a rio streamer-tip on order, but I've been eye-balling the SA Mastery Striper line. Any thoughts on that, kwb?