The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 05:26 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Newbie DT question

So looking at a DT line and the WF version is 90' long with 42' being head adn 48' being RL does that mean with the DT it will be 42' head followed by 16' RL and another 42' Head? I know this is over generalizing lines but I'm trying to not confuse the heck out of myself.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Newbie DT question

I don't know the exact footage's but the DT will be a front taper followed by long belly section which will turn to rear taper.

The concept is a long belly line with the same taper on each end.
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-08-2013, 07:17 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, I've also been doing a touch of reading on them also though they didn't break down the segmenting of the line just why you should choose one over a weight forward line. Definitely lots of interesting reading and opinions on why one should use one or the other. Almost like a Chevy vs. Ford debate.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:35 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Imho DT lines are good budget lines at any price as you have two identical ends... So when one end starts getting shot just flip it around. Otherwise I see no advantage in a DT line
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Imho DT lines are good budget lines at any price as you have two identical ends... So when one end starts getting shot just flip it around. Otherwise I see no advantage in a DT line
After some reading not sure I would agree but will test and find out myself. DT are said to excel in mending, presentation, long range recast without a false cast, and some have said when the front is worn out the back half doesn't look much better.

Again I'll order one for myself and test it out.

One of the better reads, in my opinion:

Whither the Double Taper?

Some of the sites I've read:

Why Fish Double-Taper Fly Lines? | MidCurrent
The Technical Fly Fisherman by Bob Mallard
Double Taper vs Weight Forward Fly Lines - For Beginners - 101, FAOL
Fly Lines - Double Taper or Weight Forward
Old 12-09-2013, 03:23 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I have one on my 3-weight and it works just fine. I rarely cast longer than 40-50' on ANY rod, and I definitely don't use a 3-weight for long casts.

I purchased a SA mastery trout DT line at 90' and just cut in in 1/2 and saved the other 45'.

It isn't so much that "Wow, a DT is better for this rod" so much as it's "does a WF line benefit this rod and how I'll use it? --- no, not really".

To tell you the truth, a high-quality DT line shoots just fine through the guides in case anyone is worried about that.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:01 AM

vgb is on a distinguished road

Another expert view:

DT vs. WF - Which is really Better
craigthor likes this.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgb View Post
Yep comparable to a lot of the information I've read.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:07 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
Yep comparable to a lot of the information I've read.
Yep -- they're about the same for most people under most conditions.

Note: Smaller fly lines don't have as much a dramatic difference in line thickness from the front taper to the "body" of the line, so it probably makes even less difference in light fly lines (like 3-weight and under).
craigthor likes this.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:08 AM

This will be a DT6