The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 10:44 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough
Default Line for Echo Shadow II

Just placed my order for the new Echo Shadow II 10' 3wt. What are your favorite nymphing lines, and are they available for 3wt?
Old 12-30-2013, 12:44 PM

pete erickson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Line for Echo Shadow II

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post
Just placed my order for the new Echo Shadow II 10' 3wt. What are your favorite nymphing lines, and are they available for 3wt?
Hi MB,
Just bouncing around through some interesting threads here and I came across your question about line size/type for your new rod . Just to clarify, I'm not posting to promote Shadow rods, but, since you've already ordered it I assume it is ok for me to give you some line advise for the new Shadow II 10ft 3wt.

Before you go out and purchase a "nymph" line for this rod, a couple of things to consider--unlike the old Shadow PE's, the new Shadow 2's are more accurately matched up with the rod's listed line designation.

The Shadow II, 10ft 3wt matches up well with a standard 3wt WT or DT line...it lists as a 3.5 designation, whereas the old Shadow PE 10ft 3wt designated out more towards 4.9, meaning that it was better suited for casting a 5wt line at 30 feet.

Choosing a line for a particular rod is always very subjective and even situational. The Shadow II's are what I call a "hybrid" rod, meaning they are designed to throw a dry fly, Euro nymph rig, and even cast a team of wet flies. I prefer to load mine up with standard WF or DT line that matches the rod's designation--in this case a 3wt; that way I can take advantage of the fact that this rod throws a nice loop for dries but also I can immediately switch over to making lob casts with a Euro-Nymphing rig all with the same standard wf or dt line.

as far as line manufactures go--they all make solid standard wf/dt's ...so find one you like

have fun---it is a fun rod

cheers
Old 12-30-2013, 12:59 PM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

Wow, I didn't expect an answer from the rod designer! Thanks Pete. I can't wait to receive my new Echo Shadow II and get it out on the water.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:26 PM

Glad to help out...

let me know if you have any other questions

cheers

Pete
Old 12-30-2013, 02:28 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

SA expert distance or texture trout
Old 12-30-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
SA expert distance or texture trout
nothing against the textured trout but I would go with the XXD, as it is one of my favorite trout lines performance wise.

I should reiterate that it all comes down to personal preference..I've laced the Shadow II prototypes up with tons of different lines in different wts over the past year and they all seem to have pluses and minuses.

right now I have a Super-Dri Elite 3wt on there and it performs well

cheers
Old 01-08-2014, 09:05 AM

Just an update.

I chose the new RIO Euro Nymph Line. It's not weighted like a traditional fly line, but instead is rated for all 2-5 weight rods. I'm curious to try it out.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:35 AM

stratocaster is on a distinguished road

Pete,

I just recently purchased both the first generation Shado PE 10 1/2 foot 3wt and the 11 foot 4 wt. Do you have a favorite line (weight and model) for each after fishing them for the last couple of years?

From what I have heard, I might want to upline both at least two line sizes. Do you prefer WF or DT?

Last edited by stratocaster; 03-17-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:44 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

im curious about the shadow II....is it fast enough to cast a 4wt sink tip line and small to medium streamers effectively? for example from a beadhead leech to a zoo cougar?
Old 04-25-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratocaster View Post
Pete,

I just recently purchased both the first generation Shado PE 10 1/2 foot 3wt and the 11 foot 4 wt. Do you have a favorite line (weight and model) for each after fishing them for the last couple of years?

From what I have heard, I might want to upline both at least two line sizes. Do you prefer WF or DT?
Hi Strat,

I did not see your post until now...sorry to not respond in a timely way. The Shadow PE's were indeed overpowered to what the line designation labels read (unlike the new Shadow 2), so It is a good idea to overline them--for casting a dry fly...since I use the PE's almost strictly for longline(french) and and some shortline nymphing. I prefer to load up a rio or cortland nymphline...or a standard DT. after that, it is truly personal preference or feel.

hope that helps a little bit

cheers
pete

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbailes View Post
im curious about the shadow II....is it fast enough to cast a 4wt sink tip line and small to medium streamers effectively? for example from a beadhead leech to a zoo cougar?
Hi BMB,

The Shadow 2's action and power are suitable to small-medium streamers; however, jumbo weighted large streamers and/or heavy sink tips would probably not be a great match for these lighter powered rods imo

cheers
pete