Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Thomas Williams
  • 2 Post By s fontinalis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 08:02 AM

bigcoho is on a distinguished road
Default How do you choose a fly line?

How so you choose a fly line? I got 2 setups for Christmas and need to get line. These are the setups and what they will be used for. All fishing in streams and rivers in cold water Alaska

St. Croix 5wt High Stick Drifter
5 wt Abel reel
Use for stream, river fishing for trout. I have flys from size 6 to size 20

TFO TiCr X 8wt
8wt Lamson reel
For Sockeye and Silver salmon
Flys from size 4 to 1/0
Old 12-25-2013, 08:39 AM

Thomas Williams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do you choose a fly line?

For the high stick drifter buy SA GPX. I've tried most every floating trout line and the GPX is the best. The rio gold is a close 2nd but not as good at throwing nymph rigs.

For the 8wt the SA salmon steelhead taper is awesome. I assume we are talking strictly floating lines for both right. The outbound is pretty good too if your throwing big flies and need distance.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:49 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

I'll tell you how i choose.
I go on ebay, i buy a mill end line rated for the rod i want

For example 5 wt, 3 wt etc. I always buy weight forward.

I've never spent more than $15 on a fly line.

I've never been disappointed or sought to complicate my fishing experience.

There is too much commercial emphasis in the fishing industry on the what line goes with this rod, and does the line and rod match the reel. or does the reel match the rod or whatever.

Buy a rod, buy a reel that will hold the line for which the rod is rated and go fishing...

SIMPLES
fredaevans and jcw355 like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-25-2013, 08:53 AM

bigcoho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Williams View Post
For the high stick drifter buy SA GPX. I've tried most every floating trout line and the GPX is the best. The rio gold is a close 2nd but not as good at throwing nymph rigs.

For the 8wt the SA salmon steelhead taper is awesome. I assume we are talking strictly floating lines for both right. The outbound is pretty good too if your throwing big flies and need distance.

Yes both floating lines
Old 12-25-2013, 09:10 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

If cost is of any concern, Cabela's has RIO Gold WF on sale for about half off. And those are some very nice gifts you received. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:17 AM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
If cost is of any concern, Cabela's has RIO Gold WF on sale for about half off. And those are some very nice gifts you received. Merry Christmas.
And if you want to spend a bit more I love the Airflo lines. Though for the price you can't beat the Rio Gold.