The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 04:07 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: fly line color - curious, don't want to argue

Like many others here I've also Caught Trout & not so much Salmon on Lines which were all different Colours however I find on The Smaller Creeks & Rivers I usually go for a Lighter Coloured Lines.
Brian.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:14 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Still mostly opinions...like Jbird said, no empirical evidence.

One thing I do know, after reading some of tips from the "pro" fisherman I don't think any of them know any more than our very own Hardy Ard. I find it pretty shocking that a guy like Whitlock would put line color ahead of presentation.

sent from my tablet...so please excuse the typos, spell check is an amazing thing!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:50 AM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

Science doesn't hold all answers. I fish with screaming orange lines and white lines. I still catch fish.
so many answers refer to theory. And it's as if you don't know everything, you are screwed. Fishing is still --- cast, fish, catch. If color spook fish, then nature is one very frightening place to be and our flies would be ineffective. People who wear orange jackets still catch fish.

Kim.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:55 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Dean,

I don't think Whitlock puts line color ahead of presentation.

In Gary Borger's book Presentation, Gary defines presentation as everything the angler does to catch a fish. He does not think presentation is just casting and line/fly manipulation. He takes the holistic view.

Those who have read Presentation will be familiar with this concept. This why Presentation is one of the most highly sought books on fly fishing, and why even used copies are expensive. At the time I write this, used copies are priced from $288.34 to $$857.10.

Presentation: Gary A. Borger, Jason Borger: 9780962839252: Amazon.com: Books Presentation: Gary A. Borger, Jason Borger: 9780962839252: Amazon.com: Books

Presentation includes the choice of equipment and flies; it is choosing the specific rod, reel, fly line, leader, and fly. Presentation includes reading the water, locating the fish, stalking the fish, choosing the casting position, choosing the specific cast, and mending line. It is everything that determines whether you succeed or fail.

I think Dave Whitlock is saying the same thing. Unless everything goes right, you fail. So Dave is saying that everything matters including fly line color.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-16-2014, 12:00 PM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

Wow, 800$ to catch a fish. I must have been born lucky since I haven't read the book.

And I catch fish

Kim.
dean_mt and jbird like this.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:29 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default fly line color - curious, don't want to argue

Line color? Wich one are u using when you catch a lot of fish? I would like to think that if color played a large factor, fishermen would have figured it out, and the companies that produce fly line would stop making that color that is just sitting on shelves cuz fishermen won't buy it cuz the fish can see it better than the other. I've used both hi and lo viz and havnt noticed a difference.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 01-16-2014, 12:33 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

I guess it begs the question, why are reputable line manufacturers still making high-vis after all these years? The one thing that irritates me about this sport is all the "you must do it this way to really be consistently successful". I have made a career out of coloring outside the lines in this sport. It is a really fun and fresh way to do it for me. I LOVE stripping a leech during a mayfly hatch as an example. I sometimes catch more fish than the matchthehatch crowd. It takes the biggest fish and the strikes are vicious! But that's just me

maybe I learned from my mom when I was a kid she used to take me out on the pier often, her favorite bait was expired roast beef from the fridge. she caught so many stinkin fish she practically needed a body guard .
dean_mt, krikau27 and dwtalso like this.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:27 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest all you high vis line fish catchers go to Silver Creek, Idaho during the day and give it a try. At night you can use whatever you want.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-16-2014, 01:41 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Silver, I was just going by what you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
A trout will often be frightened by the sight of a fly line flashing back and forth several times in the sunlight. You can do a couple of things to eliminate this bad visual for the fish. First, use a fly line that reflects the least amount of light. Line colors of dark gray, willow green and brown are ideal. Next, eliminate or reduce your false casting over the fish and use side-arm casts when possible, rather then overhead, because it's not as visible to the trout."
bold words mine.

Paraphrasing, Whitlock writes:
First, consider the color of your line.
Next, focus on you cast, or presentation as understood by the general fly fishing public.

I'm sure Mr. Borger's book is great, I haven't read it and looks like I probably won't unless the library has a copy. Speaking of "presentation" as a holistic matter is a cool idea, I like it. But in general we all know that fly fisherman I talking specifically about the final stages of putting the fly in front of the fish, i.e cast, the fly landing on the water, the drift.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
I LOVE stripping a leech during a mayfly hatch as an example. I sometimes catch more fish than the matchthehatch crowd.
And to those guys you would be a cheat and blasphemer.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:02 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I used this Cortland WT line for quite a number of years for dries and nymphs...this photo was taken on the Roaring Fork in CO a long time ago:

Click the image to open in full size.

I caught boatloads of Trout while using it in CO and CA...that was my experience...

PT/TB
krikau27 likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/