The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 02:19 PM

glacierjohn will become famous soon enoughglacierjohn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: fly line color - curious, don't want to argue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
They aren't smart or dumb. They are simple, instinctive creatures. we are not, so we can't even think on the same plane as them. in fact, the term "think" is subjective. trout merely react instinctively to their environment. Their brains don't work like ours. we go to the moon and build suspension bridges. They eat, breed and hide... and that is all. every second of their lives they are reacting to survival. This is what makes them (and all fish) so wonderful and attractive and challenging. we can learn enough about them to successfully catch and fool them sometimes, but we will never know what they are thinking... because they aren't.
Good point. Actually I have never put much thought into what we want to call it, whether it is pure instinct or there is some amount of thoughtful analysis going on is immaterial to me, I just need to anticipate how fish are going to react and know how to fish accordingly.
jbird likes this.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:28 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

I don't know, jbird. I am fairly confident that some of the places I fish have trout inserted into the regular population that are special undercover field agents for Orvis. They may have data terminals under deadfalls were I can't see them hanging where they report back to Manchester on flies, tippets, etc. and how they can market them to sell more to the unsuspecting humans. They may provide spectral refractive analysis of fly line color too, relevant to this thread.
waterfordcreek and jbird like this.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:36 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
They may provide spectral refractive analysis of fly line color too, relevant to this thread.
DANG ! I knew there was a gadget missing in my fly vest ! I gotta get me one of those Spectrometers. ;-)