The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 11:56 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: SA Sharkwave

No good for any technique requiring stripping the line! We had a hot-shot Bahamian guide all but refuse to let us use them on his skiff. "Dat noise is going to scare dem bonefish, Mon!" You really think the hiss is going to be transmitted into the water? "Yes, sir, don't you have some quite lines?" I don't believe it but we did, of course, change.

I don't know about the sound from the line against guides being transmitted into the denser water but, without finger guards, you would not want to fight a bonefish with Sharkskin.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:56 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post

Cortland's Trout BOSS having lost points with me due to its too soft and hinging super high floating tip section
Have you tried cutting back some of the tip section? Works for me.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:49 AM

floorabove is on a distinguished road

In the link SA shws a diagram of the new line and how high it floats in the water. I amnot at this thing of ours as long as some of you, but to me this means it may not load the rod properly when picking line up off the water?

Or am I looking at this all wrong?
Old 01-29-2014, 11:21 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

"Water-loading" is not really much of an issue.

The main issues with the sharkskin are finger abrasion, whether one comes in a weight you need, a taper you like and noise.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:39 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Jackster, I had a long talk with an enthusiastic and smart Cortland line designer at Somerset, I will write more about this soon, but he cuts the ENTIRE high floating tip section off. Says it is not part of the taper anyway and concurs with the hinging factor.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:40 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Anyone use this yet

I need a new line , like I need a hole in my head so just curious. I have the textured trout stalker in a 3wt (several spools of it) and a 4wt. I really like it on my ZXL,TXL,Circa

At the end of the day assuming the Sharkwave and Textured Trout tapers are the same. What about Sharkwave texturing is different than the Mastery Textured Trout line.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 03-09-2014, 01:51 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
At the end of the day assuming the Sharkwave and Textured Trout tapers are the same. What about Sharkwave texturing is different than the Mastery Textured Trout line.
The Sharkwave has three different textures and three different colors per line.
Here's the blurb from the SA website about it...
SharkWave, the world’s first Triple-Textured and Triple-Colored fly line. Featuring Sharkskin texture on the tip section, Mastery Textured divots for the belly and running line, a smooth Tactile Reference Point at the AFTMA 30-foot mark,SA•ID line identification, AST dry slick technology, Improved Dry Tip technology, and Streamlined Loops, the SharkWave is unlike any fly line we’ve ever produced.
It’s fishing. Friction-free.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:16 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
The Sharkwave has three different textures and three different colors per line.
Here's the blurb from the SA website about it...
SharkWave, the world’s first Triple-Textured and Triple-Colored fly line. Featuring Sharkskin texture on the tip section, Mastery Textured divots for the belly and running line, a smooth Tactile Reference Point at the AFTMA 30-foot mark,SA•ID line identification, AST dry slick technology, Improved Dry Tip technology, and Streamlined Loops, the SharkWave is unlike any fly line we’ve ever produced.
It’s fishing. Friction-free.
Ah thanks I must have been having a severe episode of craneous rectus the other night. I missed that blurb you put there when I was looking at their website. Well if I need new fly line that might have to get a chance.

The only rod I "want" to swap out is my 6wt because it has SA Textured GPX on it and on the odd occasion I throw streamers it destroys my fingers.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 03-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE my SS, and have the Textured which I have yet to try, but this sounds like a match made in Heaven. Also means I will be able to score more SS at killer price.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:17 PM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

$100.00 for line? A little too steep for me.