The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 07:53 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: SA Sharkwave

I know the US has been frozen over to long and not many folks are out on the water, but any real world reviews of this yet.

Local shop is running their annual trade in any old line get $20 off any SA line. I don't really need it and $100 is awful for a spool but $80 is less awful.

Any compelling reason to get it. I currently have these 3 lines in 4wt for the following rods

Rio Trout LT WF4F
Rio Gold WF4F (previous version)
SA Mastery GPX WF4F

TXL 4710-3
Zaxis 490-4
ICON 4100-4
Old 04-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I know the US has been frozen over to long and not many folks are out on the water, but any real world reviews of this yet.

Local shop is running their annual trade in any old line get $20 off any SA line. I don't really need it and $100 is awful for a spool but $80 is less awful.

Any compelling reason to get it. I currently have these 3 lines in 4wt for the following rods

Rio Trout LT WF4F
Rio Gold WF4F (previous version)
SA Mastery GPX WF4F

TXL 4710-3
Zaxis 490-4
ICON 4100-4

MY Icon 4100 loves it. To be honest, I recently got some Textured 4wt GPX and there is a difference in it and my 4wt GPX SS. The Texture floats like a cork, but it does not shoot as easy as the SS. Been trying it for a month now about 4 days a week
Not disappointed, it is a good line, but I am ready to put my SS back on. I also use SS on my Helios, BIIx, and all my Allen rods. It likes all rods so far, but I do prefer the GPX.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:13 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
MY Icon 4100 loves it. To be honest, I recently got some Textured 4wt GPX and there is a difference in it and my 4wt GPX SS. The Texture floats like a cork, but it does not shoot as easy as the SS. Been trying it for a month now about 4 days a week
Not disappointed, it is a good line, but I am ready to put my SS back on. I also use SS on my Helios, BIIx, and all my Allen rods. It likes all rods so far, but I do prefer the GPX.
Thanks Joni I guess it is different for all of us. I don't lake fish and mostly fish small to medium sized rivers so my idea of shooting line is getting 35' in the air

Glad to hear your ICON loves it, because that is the rod I was thinking of pairing it with. But then again like I said I don't get a lot of line airborne and I primarily nymph the ICON so the $80 might go better to charity

**edit**

Just want to make sure I read you correctly here

The ICON 4100-4 loves the SharkWave WF4F

Overall you prefer the SS in the GPX though ?

I have the non SS GPX and not a huge fan of it for anything but throwing big double nymph rigs with an indo-bobber-yarn thingy on my z-axis 4wt
Old 04-08-2014, 08:28 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Though, as I have oft stated, I strongly prefer the Trout Taper to the GPX Taper, Joni is spot on...there is no doubt that SS outperforms Textured in both shooting and lifting of the water. It is largely taking a back seat to the textured SA (& Orvis) lines because a. it is noisier and b. it can cut your hands particularly in larger sizes for bigger fish. So there is a compromise required in selecting one over the other.

Enter Sharkwave which I have yet to see but have studied the literature on. What we have hear is little if any change in the Trout and GPX tapers, SS on the tip section only so no shooting advantage but hopefully a tip floating slight advantage, Textured on the head and running line so it should perform very much like the current Textured lines with a short smooth "reference section" after the head so your fingers can feel and the absence of sound can indicate the extent of the head being out of the guides (useful if fishing with a guide).

I like Textured Trout a lot and will for sure try the SW version this season. What would I really like? After fishing the newer SA (both SS and Tx) lines for bonefish for a second time and in newer designs, I am approaching an opinion that what I would prefer is some of these great SA tapers in smooth, slick and quite versions that shoot as well and float as well but generate no noise.
mcnerney, comeonavs and fly2field like this.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:54 AM

royalcoach is on a distinguished road

I am curious to know if you guys have compared the new Airflo Super Dry Lines to the SA textured and Orvis textured lines.

I fished 2 Airflo Trout Supple Tactical Textured Ridge-lines the past 3 seasons on a 4wt Sage SLT and a 5wt Sage Z-Axis. My only complaint was that the tips started to sink last year ..... but I am sure that is because the coating on the welded loops of both lines were eventually cut by my leaders.
I will fix this soon by cutting the welded loops and either adding Cortland loops or splicing mono butts into both lines.
The more I think about it I believe I will be going with the Cortland Loops .... I have used those for years on other setups and they functioned and floated flawlessly.

I really do like my old Airflo Ridgeline lines other than the damaged welded loop issue. Those lines can really cast better for me than most others I have experimented with.... and are noise free.... imho.

I do however need a few new floaters this season.
Already purchased a 3wt Rio Gold.

Looks like I will be going with a 5wt Airflo Super Dry Elite for a ZXL 5wt.
Not sure what 4wt floater I will be trying .... it will be going on a Sage ONE 4wt ..... may just take the chance on a standard 4wt line and go with the Airflo Super Dry Elite here as well. Hate going up half a line wt on a new fast rod .... and don't think I need the extra loading capability.

But back to my original thought .... the only textured line I have ever liked was the Airflo Ridge-line .... and I tried them all. I must have bought those Airflo lines just after Airflo figured out the problems they reportedly had with their lines.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:59 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I like Airflo lines and Cortland , RIO and SA too...In my view it is less what line "I" like and more what line a given rod likes. I fish a couple of Airflo Ridge lines but not lighter than #6. I may be wrong (for sure I am not convinced I am "right") but the lack of detectable stretch in Airflo's seems to add an unwanted "power kick" upon the wrist snap in trout sized lines. As much as I am convincing myself how valuable limited stretch fly line can be in "strip strike" saltwater circumstances, I am also in the process of convincing myself that they may be counter to smooth and subtle dry fly presentations. I do appreciate the quite of the Ridge technology relative to the hiss of the textured lines. Though there are detectable performance advantages to friction reducing, surfaced fly lines, I am returning to the opinion that smooth and slick is better for fishing. Some of my fly rods though say, "But I like this textured line's taper best, don't I have a say in this matter?" Yes, fly rod, you do.
royalcoach likes this.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:03 PM

royalcoach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I like Airflo lines and Cortland , RIO and SA too...In my view it is less what line "I" like and more what line a given rod likes. I fish a couple of Airflo Ridge lines but not lighter than #6. I may be wrong (for sure I am not convinced I am "right") but the lack of detectable stretch in Airflo's seems to add an unwanted "power kick" upon the wrist snap in trout sized lines. As much as I am convincing myself how valuable limited stretch fly line can be in "strip strike" saltwater circumstances, I am also in the process of convincing myself that they may be counter to smooth and subtle dry fly presentations. I do appreciate the quite of the Ridge technology relative to the hiss of the textured lines. Though there are detectable performance advantages to friction reducing, surfaced fly lines, I am returning to the opinion that smooth and slick is better for fishing. Some of my fly rods though say, "But I like this textured line's taper best, don't I have a say in this matter?" Yes, fly rod, you do.
All great points.... especially the "power kick" comment and its effect on less than subtle dry fly presentations. You hit the proverbial nail on the head with that observation. Now you have me re-considering new gear .... again.
Remember .... you talked me out of a litespeed last month
Old 04-09-2014, 02:04 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: SA Sharkwave

I bought some Ridgeline years ago and liked it very much except it had terrible memory.
I now have Selective Trout, Rio Gold, Rio Grand, Windcutter, Accelerator, various Orvis floating (which the Superfine is still ONE of my favorites on the smaller weight rods) Textured and of Course SS.
I bought SS in 4 to 8 wt so I am great! The other lines are stored in a cool dry place.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:50 PM

czando is on a distinguished road

I think the airflo sixth sense is the most underrated line on the market, makes my five weight Radian sing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Joni likes this.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:19 PM

Thanks everyone,

Based on the fact I have a fresh spool of textured trout taper sitting here, the only thing Sharkwave provides me is a sharkskin texture for the first 30' or so of the line.

Doesn't sound like its worth it in my scenario