The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 07:56 PM

onthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura aboutonthehunt has a spectacular aura about
Default SA Sharkwave

Scientific Anglers Sharkwave - Friction Free Fishing

Interesting, but to me, after reading the information.....

it seems like there is waaaay too much going on with this line. Who knows though. It may just be the best line every, or it could be a flop.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:12 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: SA Sharkwave

Thanks for posting this...and they do feature my preferred long head, extended rear taper in two different color schemes of three colors each. Now if they could only make this multi-textured trilogy QUIET too...
Old 01-15-2014, 01:37 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting update on SA's lines. I've enjoyed fishing the textured lines I've tried, and hope they continue production on them. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:37 PM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

S&S, have you fished the Mastery Textured or just the Sharkskin? I am guessing this line will be more in line with the Mastery as far as noise.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:53 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Both, in the same Trout taper as appears, a little modified here in this new series. I preferred the textured primarily because it was easier on my hands. I am intrigued by this best of all worlds hybrid line but still await the advantages without the sound.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:37 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I saw the new line at the Asheville show and hope to take it for a drive soon at the Winston Salem show.
As for the sound, I love it! It reminds me of the old silk lines plus I find it just another sensory input to let me know what's going on with my rig.
In moving water the sound is hardly noticeable to me even when using Sharkskin.
The morph from Sharkskin to Textured seems to make sense leaving little doubt it will cut into Sharkskin sales
mojo likes this.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:58 AM

Interestingly, though I prefer my line to be quiet, I like the sound on my partner's outfit especially when fishing from a boat so I can hear what is happening with his/her cast. The sound sequence is a sure giveaway if there is slack being introduced into one's cast.

I am told that SA nor Orvis have booths at tomorrow's Somerset Show. This reduces the probability of my taking it out on a lawn with say the Scott Radian. On the other hand, the lawns will be carpeted in snow and the Man is calling for a high of 18F.

Regarding the question of Sharkskin vs. Textured: I have fished both in fresh and saltwater. Sticking to the Trout Taper; I felt the SS lifted off the water with more graceful ease that any line I have ever used. In pure performance it is slightly but noticeably superior to the Textured version. However, in all-important line handling, SS is problematic, particularly as, unlike my wife who likes gloves, I just don't want to wear anything on my hands while fishing. So this new lines distribution of SS, Textured and smooth areas might be jus the thing.

I'll research this at the Show, but with Gold being reconfigured heavier (if that is accurate) and with Cortland's Trout BOSS having lost points with me due to its too soft and hinging super high floating tip section, true to designated weight Sharkwave might be the new dominant player for the presentation oriented among us.

Jackster, I am not sure about this but Expert Distance seems to have had its taper modified to align with the newer Trout tapers. Too bad, I liked it just the way it was.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:35 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Both, in the same Trout taper as appears, a little modified here in this new series. I preferred the textured primarily because it was easier on my hands. I am intrigued by this best of all worlds hybrid line but still await the advantages without the sound.
Wouldn't that be an Airflo Ridge?
moucheur2003 likes this.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:31 AM

Yes and no. I use several Ridge lines and like them a lot...on the right rod. I think I like the lack of stretch but not in all circumstances; it offers up an aggressive kick on some quick tipped rods. They are quite and I like the feel in my hand. And they have improved their tapers but the (Rangfinder is a nice try) SA's (originally Expert Distance Taper, now morphed into SS and Textured Trout Tapers) taper rules.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:06 AM

gretch6364 is on a distinguished road

I stopped using the Sharkskin lines this last year or so. I had one on a 4wt and a 6wt. They were fine on the 4wt, but are no go for streamer fishing. I can't imagine using one in the salt. I have been buying Airflo and Rio lines this last year.

As for the noise...never bothered me at all, except I watched a TV show where a guy was using one, and found it annoying.