Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By brookfieldangler
  • 1 Post By jbird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 10:45 AM

ogouveia is on a distinguished road
Default What type of line core is best for tropical saltwater

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post here. I appreciate any help.

I've been fishing New England my whole life (mostly Largemouth bass fishing) but I am new to fly fishing and am thoroughly hooked on it (pun intended). I have the opportunity to do some Saltwater Flats fishing down in Florida at the end of February and I have put together 9' 9 WT TFO Mangrove rod with an Orvis Hydros V reel.

I am on the fence about which line to choose due to my lack of experience fishing warmer climates. I have it narrowed down to Rio's Tropical Clouser Line WF9F and Cortland Precision Tropic Plus WF9F. I currently use Rio's Cold water clouser line on my 6wt setup and I love the way it casts and handles so I'm leaning in that direction.

My question is:

Is it better to go with the Cortland line which has a braided mono core or the Rio line with it's Powerflex core? I'm guessing the biggest factor in core type is line memory and sensitivity. Can anyone offer any insight into this?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:50 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What type of line core is best for tropical saltwater

In February, temps aren't exactly what I would call hot down there. I am almost willing to bet that the coldwater line will work just fine. I actually have the same line and was down there right after Christmas. Temps were in the low to upper 70's...maybe even squeaked into the low 80s one day and I had no problems with the cold water line.
Sep likes this.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the reply. That's good to know. I was wondering what temps are actually considered Tropical.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:30 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

When I think tropical, I think Florida in June or July. February is just a nice day in my books.

Some line manufacturers, like Airflo, will list there "optimal" temp ranges but even those are somewhat suggestive at best.

It's kind like the "best if used by" dates. It doesn't necessarily mean the stuff is unusable, it just might starting down the slope of a bell curve that plots goodness.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:59 PM

just4grins is on a distinguished road

Tropical, humid, strong uv, lines laying on decks, very hot sun even on cool days equals limp fly lines. Trips cost money don't scrimp on the line. Lines have to be somewhat stiffer and less sticky. Clean your line every day between high salt and high mineral content to get the performance and the fun you want. I lived near to Key West for ten years chasing tarpon. It's a tough place.
Good luck, just4grins
Old 03-06-2014, 08:51 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

I agree. If youre wading and your line is mostly in the water in the winter, its not crucial. Boat decks change everything. That line will get real limp and start to feel sticky. I wouldn't worry too much about what's in the line core, I would pay more attention to a reputable line that's rated as tropical.
Sep likes this.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone, I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk