The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 10:19 AM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about
Default Mastery Textured vs. Airflo Ridge Nymph line size

I'm using Mastery Textured Trout on my Redington CT 4wt, and that rod just loves that line. It really casts beautifully.

I just picked up a CT 5wt, and while I'd like to get the Textured Trout for it, I just don't have the cash right now. I found some Airflo Ridge Nymph on sale, but I'm not sure if it has a similar weight and line profile as the Textured.

Anyone know if these are similar?
Old 01-29-2014, 10:51 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mastery Textured vs. Airflo Ridge Nymph line size

I have never used the AirFlo nymph but the Mastery Textured is a delicate presentation line, think dry fly fishing. Just based off the marketing of AirFlo calling theirs a nymph line. To me that indicates more mass in the tip and not quite as delicate of a presentation.But also not a full clunky line like GPX or some indicator lines. I would imagine with a 5wt you are probably not casting size 20BWO dries as it's primary function.

Having never used the AirFlo I cant say for 100% certainty, but I would imagine it would be perfectly fine for a CT 5WT.

Ive realized at my level sometimes I get spun up on the super scientific reviews we sometimes see. If I were to go by the experts I would think SA GPX is the perfect line for my Z-axis 4wt, conversely you would think Trout LT sucks on it. Well Ive cast that Z-Axis with GPX, Trout LT and RIO Gold and realized all of them work just fine. Obviously they all performed a bit differently, but I feel had I been on the water all 3 would have worked just fine.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

Last edited by comeonavs; 01-29-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:03 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Cabelas has last years Rio Gold on sale for 39.95 similar head as master trout the head is little shorter 1/4 weight heaver .
Old 01-29-2014, 01:07 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

I have both the SA Textured Trout WF4F and the Airflo Tactical Ridge WF4F & they use totally different polymer & surface texture technology approaches.

In terms of feel on my Scott G2, I found the Airflo Tactical Ridge to be slightly heavier, it felt like the rod was bending a tad bit more with it than the SA Textured Trout. I am pretty sensitive to such things, so someone else may not feel this.

I did not notice a difference in 'shootability' or 'tip floatability', so its a tie on those properties. In terms of line memory, the Airflo was noticeably superior (less coiling off the reel) to the SA.

I suspect the Airflo Nymph taper (shorter taper to turn over the heavy rig) may be different to the Textured Trout so cannot comment on how this particular version would feel.

I also have a CT 3wt rod and being a slower action than the G2, I would expect the 'normal' Airflo Ridge taper to be a better fit.