The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 07:55 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How to attach a 8wt fly line to the backing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomagoo View Post
Like Almonde, I, too, prefer a loop connection, but I just use a triple surgeon's knot (overhand knot) in my backing. If my fly line doesn't have a rear loop I'll whip finish one onto the line. Had to do that with my SA Supra and lower end SA lines. Also, make sure that the loop in your backing is large enough to pass the entire fly line spool through so you can make your loop to loop connection.

The bimini is a great knot but overly complicated for the marginal extra strength it offers. The Albright is also a great knot when there is no loop.
Well said. Completely agree on all points The only thing I'll add is to double over the backing prior to tying the triple surgeons. This will result in a double line loop reducing the risk of the backing cutting into flyline loop. This is an accepted method for big game rigging but is good practice always.
rapman likes this.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:08 AM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

Excellent point and an enhancement I will incorporate immediately. Thanks for pointing that out!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:54 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

If you use an Albright or a nail knot or make a nail knotted loop on the fly line, I'd fair it in with some pliobond. You don't want it to fetch up on a guide when a fish starts running downstream.

30 pound backing (even micron) is pretty easy to make blind loops in without knots - though the backing end is not usually much problem anyway. However, they are 100% strength connections.
pete a likes this.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:19 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

I agree and use blind loops on all my 30# backing.

This is often to the frustration of all the fly shop sales clerks slobbering all over themselves trying to show how smart they are since they can tie the much touted hallowed "Bimini" on the end of your backing. Whilst the blind loop is slick and smooth, flawless.

IMHO Bimini is the single most over rated knot is fly fishing. It really is only needed when trying to set a Line Class record. This pursuit is in poor favor with many as it wears fish down below good survivability.

Then the bimini is not the last knot but merely provides a loop to be used in a Albright or Surgeons Knot.

For me 20# backing and I nail knot it to the line, 30# I use blind loop and with either welded loop or fabricated loop fastened with 2-3 nail knot of 10# mono (with several coats of PlioBond).

Pliobond is a must have to smooth out knots that may run through the guides. One of the "must have" itmes in fly fishing.

Pete A.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:17 PM

timd will become famous soon enough

I always whip a loop in the fly line if it doesn't have one and use loop to loop with a Bimini in the backing. Learned how to tie one quickly years ago big game fishing offshore. The surgeons loop would be my second choice , and a perfectly good one if tied properly an drawn tight. If I'm whipping a loop I use Loon Knot Sense to coat the thread. Works great! Loop to loop allows you to change lines in a flash.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:17 PM

rapman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
Well said. Completely agree on all points The only thing I'll add is to double over the backing prior to tying the triple surgeons. This will result in a double line loop reducing the risk of the backing cutting into flyline loop. This is an accepted method for big game rigging but is good practice always.
I've not heard of this before either, but now it seems so obvious. Thanks!
Old 03-06-2014, 07:49 PM

just4grins is on a distinguished road

I agree with the Albright, but with slick coatings on fly lines everywhere, put a little super glue on the finished knot. Fishing in Alaska for Kings I watched my Albright slowly slip apart with a 4' King and also cost me a new fly line. And I know how to tie Albrights.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:09 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Mainly in past I've used Nail Knots & only used an Albright on several occasions.

just 4 grins bad news about You Albright Failing & losing a Big King as I along with many others I know have had Knot failures even when we all think we also can Tie them OK.
Another thing I have seen is The Loops on Fly Lines Failing even though I have whipped them on The Tipit End of most of my Lines however I don't Like them on The Reel End for that reason so for me The Nail Knot is The Go.
Brian
ulflyfisherman likes this.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:25 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Here's what I wound up doing to attach my 8wt line to the backing. I decided on a Bimini. Given that I'd never tied one before, an Orvis employee offered to do it for me. He tied a Bimini in the backing. The fly line didn't have a loop at the back. So, he tied a loop in the back of the fly line with three nail knots in a row. Now I have a loop to loop connection and can switch out lines without having to retie anything.

Thanks George for the help!!

If I was doing this on something lighter like my 5wt, I would not have gone to so much trouble. You can catch bigger fish with an 8wt!
fyshstykr likes this.

--Irish Blessing