The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 01:29 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sinking line/tip question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Take a look at the Tenney Nymph sink tip lines. They have been around for generations ... and for a darned good reason. They just work as advertised.

Without looking (Google) I think they come in 100 grain (first 24 feet) increments starting at 100 and out to at least 400. Trust me, the 400 sinks like a rock!!!!!

Fred
Thanks Fred!

I think they have a 30' sinking head and 70' floating line. It's a minor detail. I'd like to have an intermediate running line rather than floating though.

Todd

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Anyone have experience with the Orvis 3D Depth Charge? Are there any problems with hinging or coiling?
Old 02-26-2014, 04:54 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all the suggestions! I decided to buy the Orvis 3D Depth Charge with a 300 grain head. It had the braided core and is textured, both things I wanted.

I won't be able to give it a good workout for about a month. Once I do, I'll try to comment on how it performed.

Todd
Old 02-27-2014, 08:27 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Might be too late here, but a high recommendation here for the RIO Outbound Short. The have just come out with an S3 and I like it a lot. 30ft sinking head, intermediate running line. 8wt version runs 330 grains. Casts great.

OutBound Short - Freshwater Fly Lines | RIO

A review: Review: RIO Outbound Short S3 Fly Line | Hatch Magazine - Fly Fishing, etc.

Mike
bmbailes and ts47 like this.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:49 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post
Might be too late here, but a high recommendation here for the RIO Outbound Short. The have just come out with an S3 and I like it a lot. 30ft sinking head, intermediate running line. 8wt version runs 330 grains. Casts great.

A review: Review: RIO Outbound Short S3 Fly Line | Hatch Magazine - Fly Fishing, etc.

Mike
I agree with this. The Outbound Short is fantastic and available in a wide range of sink rates for fresh, salt, tropical, and cold. It's a great line.
ts47 likes this.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:

Mike
I did not see the Rio line with the intermediate running line and 30' head. After checking the Rio site, it looks like the head is actually 315 grains. The line taper really looks interesting!

In comparing the two, the Orvis line has the braided core I wanted for less stretch/better feel, the texturing, but only a 5.25" sink rate and a basically flat head taper. I can't tell what kind of core the Rio Outbound Short has. It has no texturing, but a 6" sink rate and what looks to be a pretty aggressive head taper that would throw big stuff with ease.

Hmm... It's tempting to find out what kind of core the Rio has and maybe return the Orvis line.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:22 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
I did not see the Rio line with the intermediate running line and 30' head. After checking the Rio site, it looks like the head is actually 315 grains. The line taper really looks interesting!
The website does indeed say that the S3 is 315 grains, but the labeling on the box that I'm holding says 330. I'm not sure which it is - or that the 15 grain range is a very big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
In comparing the two, the Orvis line has the braided core I wanted for less stretch/better feel, the texturing, but only a 5.25" sink rate and a basically flat head taper. I can't tell what kind of core the Rio Outbound Short has. It has no texturing, but a 6" sink rate and what looks to be a pretty aggressive head taper that would throw big stuff with ease.

Hmm... It's tempting to find out what kind of core the Rio has and maybe return the Orvis line.

Thanks for the tip!
I'm not sure about the core but I haven't noticed any excessive stretch in the line. If stretch is a concern to you, you can go to the extreme and look into RIO's InTouch sinking lines that use their ConnectCore technology that they say "has virtually no stretch". They have 30ft heads as well. (Like you need yet another option to consider, right?)

Back to the Outbounds, you can get whatever sink rate you wish; float, intermediate (I), 3-4ips (I/S3), or 6ips (I/S6). I really like the Type 3 that I reviewed.

Finally, texturing. The jury is still out for me on texturing. My gut tells me that it helps, but a smooth line with a really slick finish intuitively seems every bit as good, if not better. (And definitely easier to keep clean.) So, being completely confused, I have lines with each and love them both, so I don't let that distinction get in the way too much when purchasing a specialty line, which, lately, seems to be every new line that I get.

I do, however, look forward to getting my hands on the new SA Sharkwave. And the best shooting floating line I own is Bruce Chard's textured Grand Slam. It's a beast!

Don't know if this helps or just muddies the waters...

Mike
ts47 likes this.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:53 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have both Streamer and Depth Charge AND in the 300 Grain. Streamer was a disappointment. The running line has a lot of memory.
I have used Orvis Depth Charge for 10 years (replacing a long the way from use)
I love it. No "hinging" that I have noticed.
Not familiar with the others, but there is my opinion of these. Orvis is a wonderful line.
ts47 likes this.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
The website does indeed say that the S3 is 315 grains, but the labeling on the box that I'm holding says 330. I'm not sure which it is - or that the 15 grain range is a very big deal.

I'm not sure about the core but I haven't noticed any excessive stretch in the line. If stretch is a concern to you, you can go to the extreme and look into RIO's InTouch sinking lines that use their ConnectCore technology that they say "has virtually no stretch". They have 30ft heads as well. (Like you need yet another option to consider, right?)

Back to the Outbounds, you can get whatever sink rate you wish; float, intermediate (I), 3-4ips (I/S3), or 6ips (I/S6). I really like the Type 3 that I reviewed.

Finally, texturing. The jury is still out for me on texturing. My gut tells me that it helps, but a smooth line with a really slick finish intuitively seems every bit as good, if not better. (And definitely easier to keep clean.) So, being completely confused, I have lines with each and love them both, so I don't let that distinction get in the way too much when purchasing a specialty line, which, lately, seems to be every new line that I get.

I do, however, look forward to getting my hands on the new SA Sharkwave. And the best shooting floating line I own is Bruce Chard's textured Grand Slam. It's a beast!

Don't know if this helps or just muddies the waters...

Mike
Hi Mike,

Yes, it's helpful information. I've never fished a sinking line before and based on some helpful recommendations and a little guesswork on my part, I'm trying to figure out what is best. In the end... I just want to catch fish! Given that this line will go on an 8wt, hopefully big fish!!

The SA Textured Streamer Express, original line I was considering, has a solid mono core (different than the non-textured version) that does have some stretch in it. This is where that concern came from. I've been told it has some coiling issues as well. Since I've never fished it, I cant say one way or another. It's just what I've been told.

For the texturing, I bought into the whole idea. I own maybe 4 textured fly lines and have been very happy with them. I don't really think they shoot any better. I do believe they make mending and the pick-up a little easier though. The texturing allows the surface tension of the water to be broken easier. This was my logic for buying a textured sink tip/line. I've heard they can be a pain to deal with. So anything that makes it easier to pull it out of the water is a good thing.

The InTouch line does have a 30' head. It's a full sink though. I want an intermediate running line.

I really do like the head design on that new Rio Outbound though. I may just have to give it a try.

Thanks again!

Todd

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I have both Streamer and Depth Charge AND in the 300 Grain. Streamer was a disappointment. The running line has a lot of memory.
I have used Orvis Depth Charge for 10 years (replacing a long the way from use)
I love it. No "hinging" that I have noticed.
Not familiar with the others, but there is my opinion of these. Orvis is a wonderful line.
Thanks Joni!

It's good to hear the thumbs up on the Depth Charge line.

Todd
Old 03-21-2014, 08:48 AM

wild6duck is on a distinguished road

Where can I find teeney nymph lines? I've scoured Orvis and Scientific Anglers and found none by that name. Perhaps the name has been changed.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild6duck View Post
Where can I find teeney nymph lines? I've scoured Orvis and Scientific Anglers and found none by that name. Perhaps the name has been changed.
Google it. The Teeny? Company sells them online.