The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 11:29 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about
Default Sinking line/tip question

I want to buy a 300 grain sink tip fly line with an intermediate running line. The sink tip needs to be something like 30 feet long and fast sinking to get down in the waters I'm fishing. The question is which one. I have no real experience with this type of line and would love some suggestions.

The three lines I'm considering are;

SA textured Streamer Express. Problem - solid mono core that gives a lot of stretch.

Orvis 3D Depth Charge. Problem - Concerned about hinging. SA and Rio both have a thicker section of line between the head and running line to prevent hinging. If Orvis has this too, I'll likely buy it. Unfortunately, Orvis does not seem to share this info. Does anyone know if there are hinging issues with this line

Rio (can't locate the name right now, 24' head I think). Problem - not textured and somewhat shorter head.

Can anyone offer any help?

Thanks,

Todd

--Irish Blessing
Old 02-22-2014, 07:53 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sinking line/tip question

Add Airflo Streamer Max to you list of potential lines.

Personally I have the sa streamer express... Great line... Casts great and sinks like a rock.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:16 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Rio outbound has a sinking head and intermediate running line. It's definitely a line that you want to strip back in, pick up and do one back cast and shoot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Add Airflo Streamer Max to you list of potential lines.

Personally I have the sa streamer express... Great line... Casts great and sinks like a rock.
Hi Itchmesir,

The Airflo only has a 16' sinking portion of the head. The rest of the head is an intermediate with a floating running line. This configuration won't work for me. I need to get deeper.

I just noticed that the Streamer Express has a braided core while the Streamer Express Textured has the solid mono core that is prone to coiling.

Any thoughts on whether a textured sinking line would be easier to pull out of the water? I've been told that fishing lines like these are a lot more work than floating lines. My logic here is just to make it as easy as possible.

Thanks,

Todd

--Irish Blessing
Old 02-22-2014, 09:02 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

It does seem to coil a little in cooler temps but overall I think it is a nice line... Stretching your line out helps reduce this factor

The line looks and feels different... Almost a little like stiff plastic... But doesn't perform like it's stiff...

I can usually perform a roll that'll bring the line up so I can then water load it better to shoot it right back out there with minimal effort...

Just to give you an idea of how well this line sinks... I have a 200gr and can drag bottom casting to the main channel on the Mississippi
Old 02-22-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
Rio outbound has a sinking head and intermediate running line. It's definitely a line that you want to strip back in, pick up and do one back cast and shoot it.

Thanks Delepez,

I think the Outbound "Custom" was the line I was thinking about when I originally posted. The Rio site doesn't tell if it's an intermediate running line or not. The other two Outbound lines are floating. So, I wasn't sure.

Looking at the specs, I think I prefer the non textured SA Streamer Express. I'm not sure this is an educated comment. It just seems the head is a little heavy. Trimming the head back to lighten it would defeat the purpose of the longer head.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
It does seem to coil a little in cooler temps but overall I think it is a nice line... Stretching your line out helps reduce this factor

The line looks and feels different... Almost a little like stiff plastic... But doesn't perform like it's stiff...

I can usually perform a roll that'll bring the line up so I can then water load it better to shoot it right back out there with minimal effort...

Just to give you an idea of how well this line sinks... I have a 200gr and can drag bottom casting to the main channel on the Mississippi
That's a good testimonial for how well it sinks! I will use this line for some trout fishing in cooler water. I will also use it in slightly warmer temps fishing for things like shad in the Potomac river. How does the coiling compare with SAs trout lines?

Does anyone have any experience or can offer a comparison with the Orvis 3D Depth Charge?

Thanks!

--Irish Blessing
Old 02-22-2014, 10:45 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

The head is heavy. However, if you want it lighter just go one size down.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:23 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at the Tenney Nymph sink tip lines. They have been around for generations ... and for a darned good reason. They just work as advertised.

Without looking (Google) I think they come in 100 grain (first 24 feet) increments starting at 100 and out to at least 400. Trust me, the 400 sinks like a rock!!!!!

Fred
Old 02-22-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delopez View Post
The head is heavy. However, if you want it lighter just go one size down.

Rio sells two sizes - a T11 at 385 grams and a T14 at 490. It is meant to be a saltwater striper line. Both are heavier than I wanted to go. I could cut off maybe 25% of the T11 head. That defeats the purpose though. The T11 looks like it is geared more for a 9 weight. I'm fishing a BVK 8 weight and didn't want to throw something quite that heavy.

--Irish Blessing
Old 02-22-2014, 12:18 PM

Look in freshwater specialty section.