The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 02:40 PM

gregnash will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cabelas Fly Lines

Believe that I remember reading that the Cabelas lines are made by Cortland and that the Prestige Premiere is supposed to be the 333+ or something to that sort.

I have both the Prestige Premiere and the Prestige Plus and had a very similar experience as grtlksmarlin. The Premiere seemed to cast the best of the two but still the tip sunk by end of the first day putting it on. I didnt have much to compare it to but now that I have the Rio Gold on my Redington CT 5wt I feel that the Cabelas just is cheaply made stuff. The plus felt like I had sandpaper in my guides when I was casting and did the same as the Premiere where the tip sank pretty quickly. For the price of the two lines I could have gotten a mid quality Orvis line or the Rio but it has been months now, no receipt so exchanging/returning to Cabelas is not going to happen.

Best bet, spend the money on some quality line. But ultimately, is it fly line: yes, does it cast: yes, will you still catch fish on it: yes... Then for the price and if you are ok with some other experiences being subpar then go for it.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:18 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Of course Cabela's is cheaply made when compared to $75 fly line! I paid $30 for mine. If there wasn't a difference in quality with the Rio, there would be no Rio. Rio costs more than twice as much. How is that a reasonable comparison?

Rio Gold is hands down a better line. Would I recommend someone just getting into fly fishing spend $75 on line? Probably not, unless you are just fishing dries there isn't anything wrong with a foot of line sinking after a few hours of fishing. Cabela's line or some of the other entry level lines are good enough, especially if you are new and are likely to get your line wedged between rocks, tangled in barb wire and trees and all sorts of other abuses that you will mostly grow out of.

It is far more important to get line that matches your rod than to spend a bundle on your line. Get some experience with your setup and then buy a better line.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:47 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
+1 on the gold and the Liquid crystal. I would get one of them for my 8wt had I not bought a new 4wt rod.
Me personally would steer away from store brand lines and pay the extra $ for Rio and friends' lines.
You do realize Rio is making Cabelas new lines right? Before it was Cortland... These are not some lines that came off the latest rice boat...
mridenour likes this.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:11 AM

rjsac09 is on a distinguished road

I looked at the Airflo website on my phone and it looks like they are an overseas company or something? Seemed that they carried mostly saltwater lines...

I think all in all I am going to look for a deal on the Rio lines. For as long as you have a line on a rod it really is a pretty minor investment...functionality is the last thing I want to worry about when I get the opportunity to fish and spend more time messing with equipment than fishing because I went the "cheap" route...make sense?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:42 AM

gregnash will become famous soon enough

Dont know if it is still going on but I was able to get the Rio Gold from Cabela's on sale for $39 plus shipping. Think all together is was just under $50 to my door.. Also sign up for Orvis coupons and what not, they send out a $25off coupon pretty much every other month so you can get yourself a higher end line with that for cheaper (of course when you spend $50 or more).
Old 03-07-2014, 11:00 AM

rjsac09 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
Dont know if it is still going on but I was able to get the Rio Gold from Cabela's on sale for $39 plus shipping. Think all together is was just under $50 to my door.. Also sign up for Orvis coupons and what not, they send out a $25off coupon pretty much every other month so you can get yourself a higher end line with that for cheaper (of course when you spend $50 or more).
I am going to be going to Cabelas here this weekend to see what they have. Online it only shows they have 6wt left in the Gold...I am needing 8wt right now and would think about grabbing some 4wt for my trout rod...
Old 03-07-2014, 12:34 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

rjsac09;

Let me add a little bit of outdated info in that it has been a while since i really looked into it (and who knows i might even be remembering it wrong). First off, when i first started fly fishing (perhaps <20 years ago), of all the numerous brands of fly line out there I believe (and may just have been in the U.S.) there were only 2 actual manufacturers (I think it was Cortland and Scientific Anglers yet can't recall).

All fly lines were made by these companies....Yes, they had different packaging, colors, and most likely specifications, yet for all intents and purposes if you bought any type of line it was made by those two.

Now that is not to say that "Bob's Lines" didn't have some proprietary formulation, taper, surface, etc. that no other line had, yet in the end the equipment at those two firms can really only manufacture so much diversity.

In any case......Though a line may be made to lower standards (hence costing less), or of higher quality with special gimics.....Doesn't mean that it will perform worse or better for you.

Things like does it float or sink when it is supposed to, slip through the guides and so on valid issues, yet past that it really is a matter of trial and error to find the "ultimate" line for you in that how you cast, the water you fish in (contaminants, still/flowing, etc.), your rod, average air/water temperatures (as line will soften and stiffen) all affect that end result.

More so, the very same piece of line you use on your "X 5wt." brand rod may work totally different in Tom's "Y 5wt." brand rod. Even more so the rods can be of the same brand and simply rod actions will determine how well it works.

As an example: My Orvis Big Horn Special 8'6" 5wt. casts the finest WF-5wt.F Orvis textured/lube dripping/expensive line I bought just so-so. Cabela's most expensive WF-5wt.F line was terrible. Cortland's 444 it did fairly well with, and their 333 WF-5wt.F (bottom end line) it did even better with......More so, Cortland's 333 WF-7wt. F and Sinking tip it booms out a mile, sets down like a feather, and i can always drop the fly in a tin cup...Figure that one out.

What that all translates to is that no one can tell you "yes this will work great or not." They can tell you how well it worked for them, tell you if it does what it is supposed to.....Yet in the end your rod, how you cast and fish and where you fish will determine how well that line performs for you.

Most of all, in the end all of those tiny little nuances may not even be noticable or matter. My buddy casts with such old line (and wrong weight for that matter) that it plops down in with a massive splash in coils like a slinky and he thinks it is perfect as it suits him just fine.

So, consider if others state it worked as intended (floated, sank, straightened out) and then let everyone know how whatever line worked out for you.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.

Last edited by grtlksmarlin; 04-13-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:19 PM

flycaster1977 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomagoo View Post
Does anyone know who makes the Cabela's lines? The Orvis lines are made by SA. Don't know if they have their own tapers or whether they are simply rebadged SA lines. I would think the Cabela's lines are probably made by Rio or Cortland, but perhaps they are the same as those $10 from China that one finds on Ebay.
Orvis owns SA and Wulff line companies. If u look at the new orvis stuff, you will see SA technology creeping in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2014, 11:01 AM

Location: Yreka (about 35 miles south of Ashland, OR) California
bamboofisher is on a distinguished road

I've had the same experience with the Prestige WF-4 line that Brookfieldangler mentioned earlier. I won't buy another one.

There are some other options worth considering and when you factor in the shipping costs with Cabelas, the lines listed below are only $5 or so more then the Prestige lines currently on sale for $19.95..

Hook & Hackle Hi Floater (currently on sale for $25.00)

Cortland 333+ (you can get this at StillwaterAnglers.com for $29.95 w/free shipping). It's also on sale at Hook & Hackle for $25.96.

Cortland 333 Pro (currently on sale at Hook & Hackle for $31.15)

Any of these lines would be a good choice and they're better than the Prestige lines.

I also have one of the Cabela's Prestige Type III Sink Tip lines in WF-8 and that line works fine. No issues at all. So don't know what it is with their floating lines
Old 03-08-2014, 11:43 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboofisher View Post
I also have one of the Cabela's Prestige Type III Sink Tip lines in WF-8 and that line works fine. No issues at all. So don't know what it is with their floating lines
From my limited experience I'd suspect that they only make sinking lines (in that even the floating lines sink).

B.E.F

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.