The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 06:51 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ummm help ? Not what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcoach View Post
If you are not 100% sure that you figured it out I will buy the lot from you to spare you the mental anguish of always wondering if you got it right .
There is nothing better than a true team player , helping friends out in time of need.

I told my wife now I have to replace them......she didn't even reply (that is real bad)
mcnerney and royalcoach like this.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I can't be much help, but this nightmare episode reminds me that I need to backup my computer.

Larry

Old 03-08-2014, 09:00 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I can't be much help, but this nightmare episode reminds me that I need to backup my computer.

Larry
Yep my last backup was 9/2013. You would think working for a fortune 125 company our IT would be seamless but as a remote worker it's me and my external disk drive for backups....uggg

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

I think I got it

The newer RIO Gold "Moss" section is a more vibrant color than the older version. Also I used my 3wt last weekend and I remember a surgeons kont in my leader to add more tippet. My buddy used my 4wt and put a fresh leader on...no surgeons know just a tippet ring

Crisis averted
Old 03-08-2014, 10:13 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Yes well.....In any case, something anyone might want to consider (as few actually swap out their lines regularly like they should ) would be to not trust so much in your electronics (yes I'm old), and do it the old fashioned way.

First off, marking your line is a fine idea right up until you cannot recall what in the the ingenious "code" is that you developed. Heck, you're so clever that the NSA & CIA will spend the next 20 years cracking it. The trouble is, besides your Commodore-64 just having crashed, you just drank that one-too-many beers in your life, and that lone brain cell that remembered the info has just been wiped clean.

So, instead of codes and so on get yourself some waterproof stickers and a pen (this time keeping it simple) and write something like "WFF-5wt" or "WFST(10)-5wt" and so on, then stick it to the reel foot, inside the housing, or on the back of the spool.

Now I myself am a "some-reels, lots-of-spools" kinda guy. Each reel has a case/pouch, and inside that case I keep a spool keeper with the line info written on it (neoprene strap with a slider). All of my spare spools (so varied lines) have a spool keeper around them marked as well....So, when I swap spools, on the old spool goes its keeper, the new spool's keeper into the bag..and so it goes.

My old Battenkill disk drag literally has 6 spools of 3 different line weights for it and using the system above there is no confusion....The keepers never get wet (well except when I go unintentionally swimming) so the ink won't run.......and when their batteries go dead I just replace them (okay, that last part is a lie).

Think on it.....as my spool keepers, topo map and compass seem to run forever compared to an I-phone and GPS.....Besides, when the Martians attack I'll be able to keep fishing while everyone else goes "awww cwap, my phone is dead!"

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.

Last edited by grtlksmarlin; 03-08-2014 at 11:59 AM.