The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 10:21 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Ummm help ? Not what you think

I am a idiot. I had all my rod/reel/line pairings in a spreadsheet on my work laptop. Well I got the blue screen of death this week and lost 100% of my data including my spreadsheet.

So here is the deal I have several Ross Evolution II reels(Copper and Grey versions). One loaded with RIO Gold WF3F and one with RIO Gold WF4F. The WF3F is the new maxfloat , the WF4F is the prior version.

Can you see where I am going here.......now I don't know which is which. Because I recently moved lines around on 4 reels about a week before the blue screen

I don't think RIO marks their lines (at least I couldn't see) like SA

I don't have a grain scale

Is their a seemingly simple way for me to tell

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 03-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Ummm help ? Not what you think

If the bellies are of the same length use a micrometer to determin which is heavier diameter wise
fredaevans likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-07-2014, 10:41 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Ahhh forgot that little nugget too, I don't own a micrometer.

I am trying to replay my string of logic I used when switching lines around.

I think I moved my SA GPX WF4F to a Bauer reel since I wont use it much anymore. I believe I went

Evo II Copper RIO Gold WF4F (For Allen Icon and Sage Z-Axis)
Evo II Copper spare spool Rio Trout LT WF4F (For Sage TXL)

Evo II Grey Rio Gold WF3F for Sage ONE

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 03-07-2014, 11:14 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Hmmm well, from their website (so current not older offerings):

Gold has a Yellow running line and Moss tapered area.
Trout LT has a Darker Green/Camo running line and Beige tapered area.
Lastly then of the two Golds the 4 will be 10' longer.

B.E.F.
mcnerney, fredaevans and craigthor like this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
Hmmm well, from their website (so current not older offerings):

Gold has a Yellow running line and Moss tapered area.
Trout LT has a Darker Green/Camo running line and Beige tapered area.
Lastly then of the two Golds the 4 will be 10' longer.

B.E.F.
Perfect thank you , I knew I was missing the obvious

It is the two golds I couldn't differentiate.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 03-07-2014, 11:20 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, this sounds really confusing. Let me get this straight, you have multiple matching reels lined with different weight lines of the same color? 😨

Sorry to hear it man!

Let's see...it could be a fun human experiment using yourself as the test. Just go ahead and pick one line at random and slap it onto a rod and go fishing. If it really matters, you will be able to tell that the line is too light or heavy. But the other thing that could happen is that you can't really tell enough to say definitively, and then you'll call into question the line ratings of Rio and yourself and all of the "technical" stuff we worry about and basically drive yourself mad.

You should probably run to the hardware store and get a caliper or micrometer. This would be safest for your sanity. 😀

mcnerney and cab like this.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Wow, this sounds really confusing. Let me get this straight, you have multiple matching reels lined with different weight lines of the same color? 😨

Sorry to hear it man!

Let's see...it could be a fun human experiment using yourself as the test. Just go ahead and pick one line at random and slap it onto a rod and go fishing. If it really matters, you will be able to tell that the line is too light or heavy. But the other thing that could happen is that you can't really tell enough to say definitively, and then you'll call into question the line ratings of Rio and yourself and all of the "technical" stuff we worry about and basically drive yourself mad.

You should probably run to the hardware store and get a caliper or micrometer. This would be safest for your sanity. 😀

So yes probably not my shining moment when I hatched the idea of putting identical line other than weight on identical reel without making some sort of identifying mark

I do like you idea of go fish them to figure it out for sure, but that would require a hall pass from the war dept and that is not in the cards for this weekend.

Sometimes I amaze myself with goofball moments
mcnerney and dean_mt like this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 03-08-2014, 07:08 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post

Sorry to hear it man!

Also drop the dime for a 'grains scale;' things only cost about twenty bucks so they're 'cheap as chips.'
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:18 AM

royalcoach is on a distinguished road

If you are not 100% sure that you figured it out I will buy the lot from you to spare you the mental anguish of always wondering if you got it right .
mcnerney and dean_mt like this.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:26 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

For the lines that don't have the type and weight engraved on the line, I mark them with a Sharpie.

You can use any method you like. Mine has one wide (1/4") black mark per weight, with a red mark meaning '5'.

So, a 4 wt has four 1/4" black marks.
A 5 wt has one 1/4" red mark.
A 6 wt has one 1/4" red mark and one 1/4" black mark.
For the 1/2 wt lines, I use a 1/8" mark for the 1/2 part. So, a 2 wt GPX has two 1/4" black marks and one 1/8" black mark.

Or, you can use a label maker to put the names and weights on the reel/spool.
mcnerney likes this.