The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 04:39 PM

casey36 is on a distinguished road
Default 4wt line choices

I am new here and looking for some help. I have an older Berkley Series One 4wt rod, 7'6". Any thoughts on a new wff line. I am not really up on all the new types of lines or rod actions. This rod is from the mid nineties. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:46 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default Re: 4wt line choices

Rio gold wf4f

Sent from my iPhone
Old 03-09-2014, 04:53 PM

casey36 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I will look into it.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:09 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Cortland 333 pro is another good option and seems to be clearanced at a lot of places... Most places you can get it for under $30 shipped
Old 03-09-2014, 07:29 PM

labradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura about

SA Textured Trout. I absolutely love the way that line performs, but the noise irritates me.... When I double haul, I feel like I am playing the violin... badly.

I guess it is a personal preference thing.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:30 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Is it hard in the guides?

Sent from my iPhone
Old 03-09-2014, 07:35 PM

labradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura aboutlabradorguy has a spectacular aura about

I don't believe so.... It's not like the sharkskin and really rough. It has just enough texture to make a little noise. Sort of like mud grips on the pavement. It talks to me when I use it...lol. It sure performs though.

I'm probably just used to the Rio Gold. This is my first textured endeavour.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:28 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Rio Gold is a great line.
but I am using the Airflo Super-Dri Exceed for my 4wt now, just to try new things.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 AM

joshw is on a distinguished road

I have become a fan of rio lines. I used to use all S.A. lines and my favorites were mastery XPS for the 4wt size. I had something happen where I destroyed the coating on a section of line and in a pinch bought a Rio pocketwater line. It was really nice for the price I paid. I have fished the mainstream, Avid and trout LT. All have been nice lines that handled well. I mostly have glass trout rods left that I fish anymore and the trout LT works well on them.My suggestion would be an Trout LT or gold.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:18 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good brand and model suggestions given but...

When choosing a new line, what I take into account first is the action of the rod. I'm not familiar with Berkley fly rods. Is it slow, medium, fast action? Then take into account what type and size of flies you're fishing. Then where will you be fishing. If I had to venture a guess, small/medium streams right? What's important is that you buy the right line to suit how and where you're going to fish.

Brands like RIO, SA, Airflo are all quite reputable and there are plenty of others out there that will suit your needs just fine. In order to give you solid recommendations, we need some information first.

By the way, if you fill out your profile and put a general location, it can be helpful to those you're seeking help from when we provide responses.