The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   Line Damage Casting on Snow (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/346362-line-damage-casting-snow.html)

rusty 54 03-10-2014 05:45 PM

Line Damage Casting on Snow

I am getting itchy for some casting practice. I do a lot of lawn casting, but there is a foot of snow in the yard. I was told that casting on snow would destroy my line. Doesn't make sense to me, but does anyone have any experience with this?

fredaevans 03-10-2014 05:53 PM

Re: Line Damage Casting on Snow

I think someone is fluffing your tail feathers ......:wow:

greg_h 03-10-2014 06:52 PM

I was casting on the snow today in Toronto +6C = +44F. Didn't see or hear a scratch on my line. Not like casting in that dusty gym we rent once a week - destroys a line!
One basically casts above the snow and the line falls on it. Then it slides to you like a skate - on a thin sheet of ice or water. No harm, no foul.

rusty 54 03-10-2014 07:12 PM

That's what I wanted to hear. I think I'll get out tomorrow before we get another 3-6"!

Eddie O'Neill 03-10-2014 07:52 PM

Well, it depends on the kind of snow:eek:
1. Fluffy is generally ok.:)
2. Heavy wet stuff is not so good for roll casting.:rolleyes:
3. When it's frozen on top it does affect the retrieve.:rolleyes:

Seriously, no issues IMHO:)

grtlksmarlin 03-11-2014 10:18 AM

Well, would you cast it onto sand? Onto concrete/asphalt? Onto rusty metal?.....When anything comes in contact and is dragged or rubbed over something else the softer of the two wears/loses. The degree, not if but how much, it wears is dependant upon how much force is applied and how abrasive the harder substance is. Ice is hard, and sharp. The only saving grace possibly being the heat from the line causing some of the ice to melt making a film of water between the two (so a lubricant).

Don't get me wrong, you could cast upon snow a just once or perhaps a gazillion times before you can notice any wear that affects the line....Never the less it will still wear...It wears from your guides, your stripping guide, rubbing against your reel and so on.

Why not go for it and respond back to this thread when you can get it on water and let us know what if any difference you notice?

B.E.F.

burk48237 03-12-2014 11:00 AM

Snow is actually fairly abrasive, but I doubt anymore damaging to most fly lines than lawns with all of the chemical fertilizers we use these days.

jaybo41 03-12-2014 11:20 AM

This is exactly why I save and old fly line. I have a cheapie reel that I've long since outgrown that has 2 spools. One with 4wt, one with 5wt line. Those old leaders are ideal to use for practice. Add whatever length you need to it and tie on a piece of yarn.

Fly lines aren't cheap, this helps make them last longer.

Jackster 03-12-2014 01:23 PM

If it's a modern line with the slickness built in right to the core I wouldn't fret over it. Worse case scenario is that snow is slightly abrasive but that would simply bring a fresh finish to the surface much like the 3M/SA grey micro abrasive pads.
I practiced casting all the time in Michigan during the winter and can't say I noticed any difference in my lines because of casting on snow.

cab 03-12-2014 06:16 PM

Don't cast in yellow snow.

Couldn't resist,
CAB