The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 05:45 PM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough
Default Line Damage Casting on Snow

I am getting itchy for some casting practice. I do a lot of lawn casting, but there is a foot of snow in the yard. I was told that casting on snow would destroy my line. Doesn't make sense to me, but does anyone have any experience with this?
Old 03-10-2014, 05:53 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Line Damage Casting on Snow

I think someone is fluffing your tail feathers ......
Old 03-10-2014, 06:52 PM

greg_h is on a distinguished road

I was casting on the snow today in Toronto +6C = +44F. Didn't see or hear a scratch on my line. Not like casting in that dusty gym we rent once a week - destroys a line!
One basically casts above the snow and the line falls on it. Then it slides to you like a skate - on a thin sheet of ice or water. No harm, no foul.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:12 PM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough

That's what I wanted to hear. I think I'll get out tomorrow before we get another 3-6"!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:52 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Well, it depends on the kind of snow
1. Fluffy is generally ok.
2. Heavy wet stuff is not so good for roll casting.
3. When it's frozen on top it does affect the retrieve.

Seriously, no issues IMHO
Old 03-11-2014, 10:18 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Well, would you cast it onto sand? Onto concrete/asphalt? Onto rusty metal?.....When anything comes in contact and is dragged or rubbed over something else the softer of the two wears/loses. The degree, not if but how much, it wears is dependant upon how much force is applied and how abrasive the harder substance is. Ice is hard, and sharp. The only saving grace possibly being the heat from the line causing some of the ice to melt making a film of water between the two (so a lubricant).

Don't get me wrong, you could cast upon snow a just once or perhaps a gazillion times before you can notice any wear that affects the line....Never the less it will still wear...It wears from your guides, your stripping guide, rubbing against your reel and so on.

Why not go for it and respond back to this thread when you can get it on water and let us know what if any difference you notice?

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:00 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Snow is actually fairly abrasive, but I doubt anymore damaging to most fly lines than lawns with all of the chemical fertilizers we use these days.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:20 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

This is exactly why I save and old fly line. I have a cheapie reel that I've long since outgrown that has 2 spools. One with 4wt, one with 5wt line. Those old leaders are ideal to use for practice. Add whatever length you need to it and tie on a piece of yarn.

Fly lines aren't cheap, this helps make them last longer.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:23 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

If it's a modern line with the slickness built in right to the core I wouldn't fret over it. Worse case scenario is that snow is slightly abrasive but that would simply bring a fresh finish to the surface much like the 3M/SA grey micro abrasive pads.
I practiced casting all the time in Michigan during the winter and can't say I noticed any difference in my lines because of casting on snow.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:16 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Don't cast in yellow snow.

Couldn't resist,
CAB
jaybo41 likes this.