The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 08:34 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Line for an 8wt vintage glass...

I have quite a few of the old 333 lines, but I bought them back before they made things more complicated than they needed to be.
Most of the those that I have left are full sinking and intermediates. One is an 8wt bass taper, three are sinktips
My 444 lines are all lower weight DT lines (3,4,5wt) except for a WF9F. That one I use a lot, a real lot, and on an 8wt rod.
That one has 6" cut from the front taper to make it easier to cast larger flies
itchmesir likes this.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:10 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

Craigthor, I have never cast a Heddon, but I have collected a few Fenwick Glass rods over the last year. I bought some Cortland 333+ lines and they work great. On my FF756 I have used a 6 wt Cortland Peach and it is a good choice. On my 8wt FF858, my favorite is a Rio Gold. It loads the rod in close and yet I can almost cast the whole line if needed.
craigthor likes this.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:14 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtone1411 View Post
Craigthor, I have never cast a Heddon, but I have collected a few Fenwick Glass rods over the last year. I bought some Cortland 333+ lines and they work great. On my FF756 I have used a 6 wt Cortland Peach and it is a good choice. On my 8wt FF858, my favorite is a Rio Gold. It loads the rod in close and yet I can almost cast the whole line if needed.
Thanks, I may just try to borrow a few lines to test, I also have a 5wt that I will be lining up at some point and thinking a gold for that one. I really liked casting my 7wt Heddon with the Rio Line in the wind though I want to play with my Airflo Bass taper as it is a slightly lighter line.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:30 PM

Location: Yreka (about 35 miles south of Ashland, OR) California
bamboofisher is on a distinguished road

You might want to take a look at the Hook & Hackle Hi-Floater lines too. The folks over on the Classic Fly Rod Forum love them. They're on sale now for $25.00