The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 06:41 PM

houli has a spectacular aura abouthouli has a spectacular aura about
Default Rio Gold / Rio Grand / Rio Perception / SA Mastery GPX

I've read up and sounds like the new Gold lines are +.5 and the new Grand are a full wt up .... not sure but it seems like Perception is somewhere in between as far as wt and taper.

I'm lining a TFO BVK 7wt and 8wt for primarily smallmouth bass, largemouth bass and carp in the upper Potomac, Shenandoah and tribs. Anyone with first hand knowledge of rod and/or lines have any input? I'm trying to simplify matters so the choice is down to the above lines.

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:00 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Rio Gold / Rio Grand / Rio Perception / SA Mastery GPX

I am a big fan of the Gold but I don't like the Perception at all.
I had the 7wt Perception and used it in Puget Sound Seattle, WA last Christmas. It got sticky very quickly even in the 45F and I labored to cast 50ft in the cross wind with Perception. I don't like the taper either, it looks more like DT instead of WF. However, I think the Perception would be good with slower action rod.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:20 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I've sort of started going to RIO Gold as my default line for all trout rods that aren't dry fly only rods. For example I have a Sage TXL,ZXL and Circa I only use when primarily dry fly fishing so that get SA Trout Stalker.

All else gets RIO Gold, it loads fast action rods fine, but inst clunky like a SA GPX line. I find with RIO Gold I can throw double nymph rigs with a strike indicator as well as a single dry fly. Mind you this is for 3 through 6 wt rods. Ive yet to get my bigger rod with RIO Gold on the water yet so my comments aren't tested by me on 7wt or large rods.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:13 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

You're fishin my waters! Are you going to fish the shad run next month? I'm trying it for the first time and taking my 10 year old along!

For fishing bass, you'll be throwing some big bugs. You want a taper that is heavily weighted at the front of the head like the SA GPX or Streamer Express. For a Rio line, the gold would be okay. The Outbound and perhaps Bass tapers might be better.

The other question would be, do you have a good sink-tip line for streamers?

--Irish Blessing
Old 03-13-2014, 09:19 AM

houli has a spectacular aura abouthouli has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the feedback - keep it coming.

I plan to fish the shad run this year .... it'll be my first attempt as well. Good luck and be safe out there - my son is 8 months old so it'll be a few years til he joins me.

I have the SA Wet Tip Express 250 grain so i'm covered on the sink line.

Most of my fishing is on Goose and Potomac. I can walk to the confluence from my garage in 15 minutes .... not too shabby.

I was leaning toward Gold but Grand may be better for bigger streamers and hair poppers.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by houli View Post
Thanks for the feedback - keep it coming.

I plan to fish the shad run this year .... it'll be my first attempt as well. Good luck and be safe out there - my son is 8 months old so it'll be a few years til he joins me.

I have the SA Wet Tip Express 250 grain so i'm covered on the sink line.

Most of my fishing is on Goose and Potomac. I can walk to the confluence from my garage in 15 minutes .... not too shabby.

I was leaning toward Gold but Grand may be better for bigger streamers and hair poppers.
That's close! I can "drive" to goose creek/Potomac, but the Maryland side, in about 15 minutes!!
If you're lining a 7 & 8 wt rod, I'm not sure you will need to over line it. What I think will be more important will be to use a taper that will handle the big bugs you will be throwing. You should not worry about a light/delicate presentation

Without going back to the website again, you want a taper where the mass of the head is concentrated forward to help push/turn over the big flies, poppers, etc. As long as you don't get a 30' head weight of more than 250 grains, you could probably buy one line and have it work on both rods. According to the AFTM chart, a true 8 wt line is around 210 grains. For throwing poppers, etc, 250 grains should be enough. Both BVKs should be able to handle that line.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

--Irish Blessing