The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 12:06 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Orvis Clearwater Line

Hello,

Wow. It has been a while since I have posted. I have been lurking, just nothing really to say. I have been sucking up all of the knowledge that other people have been sharing. Sort of like a Vulcan Mind Meld.

Anyway, I finally got around to getting some line to put on the nice Purist reel that fq13 (Jay) so gracious sent to me. (I still need to get that shipping to you, Jay. I did not forget!)

I am using this reel to put on an el cheapo 4# rod I got off ebay. It is a brand I never heard of before: Kenningston. I think it is made in Korea. It is a pretty slow rod, it seems, as it flexes like crazy. The set up is going to be used by my son as he is pretty clumsy but he comes by it honestly. I had enough of seeing him drop the rod or smack the setup against tress and rocks.

Anyway, I wanted to get a decent yet cheap line. I settled upon some Orvis Clearwater
since it was only $35 at the local fly shop.

We actually had temperatures hovering around the 60-degree range on Tuesday and I just had to try it in the yard. Wow. I did not expect the entire setup to be as nice as it is. It was wonderful! I thought the line would be the weak spot but it was wonderful. I took it off that rod and put it on my good one and had the same results! I cannot remember what I have on my the reel but for $35, I am more than satisfied.

Maybe I am too much of a novice still but how is an $80 fly line any better than this one I got for $35?

thanks,
ray
Old 03-13-2014, 12:40 PM

Donovan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Orvis Clearwater Line

Hey Ray.

I must be in the same boat as you. I am using a no name line I picked up on a whim for about $10. It was my first dry line and it too was brilliant on my rod. In all fairness I have never used an $80+ line but if this is what I get for this price, I think I could only be blown away breathless by an expensive one.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:34 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Ray,

Good to hear from you again. I have been somewhat lacking in posting as well. Between work, cabin fever and the all the other stuff going on, I'm ready for spring to come so I can get out to the water again.

I think there are a few factors in play that differentiate an $80 line from a $35 line.

First, current production versus past year's production. The big name fly line makers do tweaks and make "improvements" to line, some of which more tangible than others. Things like higher flotation technology, textured lines, tweaks to tapers,coatings and such all come into play between manufacturing costs and production. Does all that stuff warrant an paying more for line? Sometimes, sometimes not. I'll gladly let others be the guniea pig.

Then you have lesser known brands, knock offs, really old lines and private label lines made for X company. There is generally speaking less R&D involved here, and more often than not you're getting older technology and tapers. This isn't to say this is bad by any means. Sometimes old lines are a better choice. There are legions of fans that still use Cortland's 333 line which I believe to be pretty old. Hook & Hackle Co has line rebranded for them that I understand is very nice.

That's my general observation anyway, I'm sure I've missed maybe a few points but I'll let others chime in with those.

Hope you are well and maybe I'll convince you to get on the water this year. I'm not holding my breath.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:25 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Hello, Jason.

I can see why you would write this:

Hope you are well and maybe I'll convince you to get on the water this year. I'm not holding my breath.

And I feel a little sheepish about that. I think there are several reasons why though...

First, I stink. I really do. I know I do not cast correctly. I know I don't retrieve even remotely right or well. I know I don't know "how" to fish. I am basically a clod out there and I would drive anybody who is even remotely good at fly fishing totally bonkers!

Secondly, I seem to really, really like being out there alone. I don't know why. I think it is because I get stressed out at, well, life, and I need that alone time. That quiet time all by myself. And I need quiet. I must admit, it might be the quietness of fly fishing that instantly hooked me when I first tried it.

Lastly, and maybe most importantly, whenever I go "fishing," I am not fishing all the time. The more I do go out, the more I find it is not the fishing that attracts me the most but, rather, the quiet (like I said), the sights and sounds that are around, the simple activity of casting, trying to become part of my surroundings so I can see and experience more--and not necessarily fish.

In fact, catching a fish is sort of not important at all. Which sounds silly because then why fish at all? I think it is like I said: the activity of casting itself. Trying to see if you can get the fly where you want it to go. Just watching the fish do what fish do is cool, too. Being part of nature but it goes back to the repetition of casting. I know I am not good at casting but it is fun to do, for some odd reason.

All that said, that does not mean I won't surprise you and agree to go fishing sometime. I might take you up on that offer!

thanks,
ray
Old 03-14-2014, 07:54 AM

pfm is on a distinguished road

Ray,
Could not have said it better. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:04 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ray I get it, I'm much the same. When I was younger it was more about the numbers, now I just enjoy being out there and taking it all in. Obviously I'm still trying to catch fish and marvel in the beauty of them. Other than that I'm in the same boat. I often prefer to fish alone, but do enjoy company once in a while and of course with my long time fishing partner/best bud.

This is why I've offered to get out there with you sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
First, I stink. I really do. I know I do not cast correctly. I know I don't retrieve even remotely right or well. I know I don't know "how" to fish.
I picked up fly fishing on my own, without instruction from anyone ever. When I figured out that I needed some help I got myself a guided trip for a day and learned more in that one day than I had the whole time I had been doing it and learning on my own. It's your call, but I'd be happy to get out there with you. I enjoyed the discussion we had when I met you so I figure wetting a line couldn't be too bad
comeonavs and busbus like this.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:13 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'll add a bit about the Clearwater. I got the 4wt for my wife's rod. My memory is that it is made a 1/2 rod weight heavier, not sure if you'll notice a difference. I've fished the rod and found the rod performed well.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:15 AM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough

I think the Clearwater lines are basically the economy SA lines with a front loop added, and nowhere can I find that they are a half weight heavy. All the plus sized lines that I know of are priced at the premium end of the market.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Ray I get it, I'm much the same. When I was younger it was more about the numbers, now I just enjoy being out there and taking it all in. Obviously I'm still trying to catch fish and marvel in the beauty of them. Other than that I'm in the same boat. I often prefer to fish alone, but do enjoy company once in a while and of course with my long time fishing partner/best bud.

This is why I've offered to get out there with you sometime.

I picked up fly fishing on my own, without instruction from anyone ever. When I figured out that I needed some help I got myself a guided trip for a day and learned more in that one day than I had the whole time I had been doing it and learning on my own. It's your call, but I'd be happy to get out there with you. I enjoyed the discussion we had when I met you so I figure wetting a line couldn't be too bad
Jason,

I enjoyed our conversation, too. And I know I do owe you one. And I am sure you can teach me a lot. I went a couple times with this older gentleman and much of what I do "know" was because of Jules. But we can't seem to hook up these days and I don't know why. He is retired but even we can't seem to find a common time to go! Maybe part of it is because whenever I go, I like to go out early and stay late and I think it is too much for him.

I am just getting over pneumonia and things are piled up at work, as a result, but I will let you know, Jason. I know you like to go to Slippery Rock and I have never been there. It would be nice to find a new place that is not too far away. The only place I even semi-frequently go to is Dunbar Creek. It is gorgeous there and I seem to go when nobody else is there (sort of on purpose). I have caught a few there but it is fished pretty hard and my skills are such that the fish laugh at me.

Weekends are a premium for me and that is the biggest problem. I did go quite a lot last year to Peters Lake, which is about 20 minutes from my house. I really like to catch bluegill for some reason. I have caught bass but they are not really as much fun as gill for some reason. And even there, where the bluegill would probably attack a plain hook, the point of the time I spend there is to clear my head. I have gone there with a friend of mine a few times and I had a good time. It was fun. But it wasn't as relaxing. I think I need to be in a certain frame of mind to go with somebody.

But Ric is not what I would call a good fly fisherman, so we both hack it out together. When one of us make a "real" cast, we almost high five each other. That's when I think about Jules and wonder if part of the problem was that I hold him back because I am not a quick learner. Some things I picked up quickly. Other things, well, I could tell he was really frustrated and I felt bad.

I don't want to frustrate anybody because fishing is supposed to be the exact opposite. When you pay for a guided trip, those guys know that there will be a level of frustration but they get compensated for the frustration. I don't want to frustrate for free!

Let me catch up with work, finish the bathroom project I started, and move my son back home as he is about to complete his last semester being away at college and we can see if we can connect.

Thanks for the offer!

ray
Old 03-15-2014, 08:03 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomagoo View Post
I think the Clearwater lines are basically the economy SA lines with a front loop added, and nowhere can I find that they are a half weight heavy. All the plus sized lines that I know of are priced at the premium end of the market.
From the second sentence of the description on the Orvis website:

"This weight-forward floating line is built a half-size heavy to help load the rod."

Whether or not the half size makes that much of a difference I don't know, but I have no complaints with the line.