Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sweetandsalt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 07:42 AM

by1983 is on a distinguished road
Default Saltwater line for bvk 8wt

Hello all

This is my first post on here, but Im relatively familiar with flyfishing in general.

I have a new rod- an 8wt BVK on its way for light saltwater fishing- from the shore and from a boat here in Western Australia. Species targeted probably arent familiar to you, but there will be some bonefish up to 12lb and small trevally up to approx 15lb on the flats (similar to jack crevalle) in the tropics with water up to 86F, and bluefish up to 10lb in the cooler waters where I live where the water could get as cold as 64F.

I would like to hear opinions on lines that might suit this rod and the climates I fish in. The cooler water fishing would be fine with an intermediate line but tropical locations would need a floating line or something that floats with a clear sinking tip.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2014, 06:39 PM

jw12 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Saltwater line for bvk 8wt

For a tropical line I love the rio outbound short, shoots like a gun.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:43 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Give a look at this recent thread...

Sinking line/tip question

Starts with sinking lines, but the conversation broadens quickly.

And I'm a fan of the Outbounds, in all their varieties, although for floating I'm currently throwing the SA Chard Grand Slam.

Mike
Old 04-28-2014, 07:47 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

With water no cooler than mid 60's, you should not have problems with tropical intended flats lines. BVK#8 prefers a 1/2 size heavy line with an aggressive taper. We have found SA Magnum to work well on it but though I have not tried it on BVK, I would be inclined to go with the SA Chard "Grand Slam". These new SA lines feature a textured surface that does produce a hiss in the guides which does no bother me nor, I believe, the fish but if you prefer a silent line I recommend the Cortland "Liquid Crystal" available either in clear or tinted sky blue. Both the Chard and Crystal should load the BVK well. Welcome to the Forum.
Sep likes this.