The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 03:50 PM
adrian191

Default Which Line?

So i have a site that i can get a free fly line if i buy i rod. St. Croix Imperial Fly Rod: Find your Fly Fishing Rods at Stillwater Fly Shop.
What line should i get i want the st. croix imperial rod 4wt 8'. The reel i will get is either the orvis battenkill or the access mid arbor.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:47 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Which Line?

Well, what species of fish, on what type of water (lakes, narrow streams, raging rivers, etc.), and what type of flies do you intend upon primarily? Lastly, what sort of range do you expect to be casting and finally what would you say your skill level is?

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:59 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

George Anderson over at Yellowstone Anglers liked the 8 1/2' version of that rod in a 4wt better. He said that particular rod hit a sweet spot and is the best value rod available. They paired it with a line that has a true 4wt head on it. If you're fishing for trout, consider the SA textured or new Sharkwave Trout taper. I like these because the lift off the water/mend easier than the slick lines IMHO.

The response above is correct though. What type of fish, water, flies will have an effect on what you choose.

--Irish Blessing
Old 03-21-2014, 07:09 AM

james w 3 3 has a spectacular aura aboutjames w 3 3 has a spectacular aura about

I'm a new convert to Airflo lines, in your case it would be the Elite, a true weight.
You'll have to google their website for the whole story, but I'm really happy with the performance I'm getting on the casting pond.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:27 AM

dar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian191 View Post
So i have a site that i can get a free fly line if i buy i rod. St. Croix Imperial Fly Rod: Find your Fly Fishing Rods at Stillwater Fly Shop.
What line should i get i want the st. croix imperial rod 4wt 8'. The reel i will get is either the orvis battenkill or the access mid arbor.
Adrian, I own both an 8 1/2 & 9 4wt St Croix Imperial. Don't ask me why I have two of them, but I really like that rod. Infact, I am a big St Croix fan. The line I use is SA Trout line in a wff. I also use a Snow Bee 4 dt. Of the two I seem to prefer the SA line on that rod. While the Snow Bee casts alright I like it better on my cane rod.

What I like about theSA line , especially when using the 8 1/2' rod,is that l can load the rod off the tip for short distance casting. When trout fishing I fish mostly spring creeks. Some of which you could jump across. Well maybe not anymore at my age.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2014, 02:36 PM
adrian191

people are telling me to go with the 8'6" but i want something shorter because i curently have and 8 6..i ve chaged my mind and im going with the 76 because i fish for trout on nj streams.. Im mostly a nymph fisherman and i have been fishing for 5 yrs.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:01 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian191 View Post
people are telling me to go with the 8'6" but i want something shorter because i curently have and 8 6..i ve chaged my mind and im going with the 76 because i fish for trout on nj streams.. Im mostly a nymph fisherman and i have been fishing for 5 yrs.
If you already own an 8'6", Yes! Go with a shorter rod. You'll be able to cover a wider range if you add a 7' or 7'6". There just isn't enough of a difference between an 8'6" and 8' rod.

I currently own a 7', 8'6" and am considering a 10'. I love my short rod for all kinds of tight quarters.

Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

--Irish Blessing