The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 01:34 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Backing

Put the fly line on first. When you get to the end of the fly line attach the backing and fill reel to desired point. Unwrap it all onto something else,,,this time attach the backing and wind on first,,the fly line will be on top and your reel will be exactly as full as you wish it. Be SURE to not put the tapered end/front end.. of your fly line to the backing as you put it all on the reel the second time.
mridenour likes this.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:08 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
Put the fly line on first. When you get to the end of the fly line attach the backing and fill reel to desired point. Unwrap it all onto something else,,,this time attach the backing and wind on first,,the fly line will be on top and your reel will be exactly as full as you wish it. Be SURE to not put the tapered end/front end.. of your fly line to the backing as you put it all on the reel the second time.
Thanks Fly Guy! That makes sense.

Getting back to the OP... I bought an 8wt recently. I checked the fly line manufacturer's web site for the fly line I bought. It said the strength of the fly line was 30lbs. So I put 200 yds. of 30ld Dacron on my reel. The reel was rated for 250 yds. You should check to see what your reel is rated for and determine the amount of backing based on that. I like to go a little short and leave some room on the spool.

Thanks to Fly Guy, you have a good way to judge the proper amount in the event you don't have another way to measure the length of the backing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-31-2014, 08:28 AM
mridenour

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
Or consult documentation for the reel. A lot of reel manufacturers will tell you how much backing will fit on your reel with the line.
williamhj likes this.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:32 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Part of the reason I asked how to gauge the amount of backing to install is if you want 100 or 150yds. And the spool of backing is 250, it can be difficult to guesstimate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-31-2014, 09:00 AM

ia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to allia_trouter is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
Or consult documentation for the reel. A lot of reel manufacturers will tell you how much backing will fit on your reel with the line.
And then I put it on backwards first anyway so I get it right. I never thought this was rocket surgery until I missed a couple times. I have several brands of backing of the same weight that are considerably different in guage. Pretty easy to miss by 20 yards.