The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 03:24 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default What is "shooting line"?

Hello,

My neighbor had this stuff tied onto his dt3 line he just put on his reel, He put it at either end so he could attach the backing and a leader. I never saw this stuff before. What is for? For the purpose he said it was for?

One thing I think I like about it is that it seems like it could be used as a sight indicator since it is a bright red color.

Amnesia Shooting Line

Thanks,
ray
Old 03-29-2014, 03:35 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is "shooting line"?

Hi Ray,

I have used this stuff as an indicator in my Steelhead nymph rigs sometimes. If you're familiar with John Nagy, he references using them in his book, Steelhead Guide. There's no reason you couldn't employ the same techniques fishing for trout.

If you read the descriptive on the Cabelas sight, it can be used as running line behind a head. Your fly lines have a head and running line on them unless they're level lines. Mostly using this sort of running line is used with 2 hand rods. I've heard of some guys using it for Chuck & Duck fishing as well.

Sounds like what your neighbor is using it for is to attach leaders to fly line using loop to loop connection and the fly line to the backing. Regular Mono will do the same thing, it's just that this stuff is red and supple which makes it a good choice for an indicator.

If you have a line with loops on it, I'd suggest making small pieces with perfection loops on both ends, maybe 4-6" or whatever length you want. This way, if you want to remove it, you can do so easily. Think switching from nymphing to dry flies.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:38 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What is "shooting line"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Hi Ray,

I have used this stuff as an indicator in my Steelhead nymph rigs sometimes. If you're familiar with John Nagy, he references using them in his book, Steelhead Guide. There's no reason you couldn't employ the same techniques fishing for trout.

If you read the descriptive on the Cabelas sight, it can be used as running line behind a head. Your fly lines have a head and running line on them unless they're level lines. Mostly using this sort of running line is used with 2 hand rods. I've heard of some guys using it for Chuck & Duck fishing as well.

Sounds like what your neighbor is using it for is to attach leaders to fly line using loop to loop connection and the fly line to the backing. Regular Mono will do the same thing, it's just that this stuff is red and supple which makes it a good choice for an indicator.

If you have a line with loops on it, I'd suggest making small pieces with perfection loops on both ends, maybe 4-6" or whatever length you want. This way, if you want to remove it, you can do so easily. Think switching from nymphing to dry flies.
Thanks, Jason.

I originally thought he was nuts but I guess he knew what he was doing. I did read about it more at Cabela's. It also says it floats. Hmmmm...well, all I have are loops at the end of my WF line but could probably attach a little of that on each end as you suggest.

Wow, learn something new every day! I love this site!!!!!!!!

ray